* compiler errors, include paths, and gnatreg
@ 2003-07-17  0:17 Aaron W. Myers
From: Aaron W. Myers @ 2003-07-17  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for reading

I've finished my first year studying ada at my university and enjoyed
every second of it.  My problem is that I have a lot of questions and
I'm not around my teachers to get them answered.

I'm trying to compile the examples sent with AdaSockets v0.1.19 for
Windows.  I want to do this by running make.bat but when i do i get
pagers of errors that say something like
compiling.error: "sockets-thin.adb" and "tcprelay.adb" compiled with
different GNAT versions
and stuff like this
error: "s-stalib.adb" must be recompiled ("a-except.ads" has been
modified)

It says that i need to change my ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
environment variables to point to the adapower directory, but i don't
know how to do this.

and it says i can use gnatreg to do that too, but i don't understand
what that utility does?

Can anyone answer my questions?  thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
Aaron W. Myers

* Re: compiler errors, include paths, and gnatreg
@ 2003-07-17  9:02 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2003-07-17  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

awm917@truman.edu (Aaron W. Myers) writes:

> pagers of errors that say something like
> compiling.error: "sockets-thin.adb" and "tcprelay.adb" compiled with
> different GNAT versions

That probably means what it says: that the object code of these files
have been compiled by a version of GNAT different from what you are using.
Try recompiling them.

> It says that i need to change my ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
> environment variables to point to the adapower directory, but i don't
> know how to do this.

On old versions of windows, that use autoexec.bat, add the lines
set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=<your path here>
set ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=<your path here>

On newer versions select 'My Computer', click on properties, go to the
advanced tab en press the 'Environment variables' button.

> and it says i can use gnatreg to do that too, but i don't understand
> what that utility does?

With gnatreg you can tell the compiler where to find files using the
registry instead of environment variables. Run it for more info.

> Can anyone answer my questions?  thanks a lot!

You migh be better off using the Sockets library that is included with
GNAT. See the Reference Manual under 'The GNAT library'.

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk

* Re: compiler errors, include paths, and gnatreg
@ 2003-07-17 10:42 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-17 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aaron W. Myers wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the examples sent with AdaSockets v0.1.19 for
> Windows.  I want to do this by running make.bat but when i do i get
> pagers of errors that say something like compiling.error:
> "sockets-thin.adb" and "tcprelay.adb" compiled with different GNAT
> versions and stuff like this error: "s-stalib.adb" must be recompiled
> ("a-except.ads" has been modified)

Sounds like you need to compile you adasocket library with the compiler
you use. Which compiler and which version? (Looks like GNAT, but which
version?)

> It says that i need to change my ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
> environment variables to point to the adapower directory, but i don't
> know how to do this.

edit C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

--
Ada95 is good for you.