* GMGPL, where can I get it?
@ 2003-06-15 11:18 David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-06-15 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm looking for a GMGPL license file, do you know if any exist?
All projects that use GMGPL seems to come with an unmodified version of GPL v2 =(.
If there is no license file, do you know where I can find the exact definition of the GMGPL?

//David Holm

* Re: GMGPL, where can I get it?
@ 2003-06-15 12:28 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-06-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Holm <david@realityrift.com> wrote:
: Hi,
: I'm looking for a GMGPL license file, do you know if any exist?
: All projects that use GMGPL seems to come with an unmodified version of GPL v2 =(.
: If there is no license file, do you know where I can find the exact definition of the GMGPL?
:
: //David Holm

from the GNAT RM:
"@item Modified_GPL
This is used for a unit licensed under the GNAT modified GPL that includes
a special exception paragraph that specifically permits the inclusion of
the unit in programs without requiring the entire program to be released
under the GPL@.  This is the license used for the GNAT run-time which ensures
that the run-time can be used freely in any program without GPL concerns."

and from a gnatinfo.txt:
"For more information on the licensing provisions, consult the headers
of the appropriate source files."

So, concluding, I'd say that the license is described in the COPYING
file, with the special exception to which the previous quote refers.
But IANAL.

See also
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

-- Georg

* Re: GMGPL, where can I get it?
@ 2003-06-15 13:06 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Holm wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a GMGPL license file, do you know if any exist?
> All projects that use GMGPL seems to come with an unmodified version of GPL v2 =(.
> If there is no license file, do you know where I can find the exact definition of the GMGPL?

The point is that you just modify the GPL as such:

--                          <Your program name>                           --
--                        Copyright (C) <year(s)>                         --
--                         <Copyright holder(s)>                          --
--              License: Gnat Modified GNU Public License                 --
--                                                                        --
--   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or        --
--   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as       --
--   published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the   --
--   License, or (at your option) any later version.                      --
--                                                                        --
--   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,      --
--   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of       --
--   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU    --
--   General Public License for more details.                             --
--                                                                        --
--   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License    --
--   along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software          --
--   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA            --
--   02111-1307, USA.                                                     --
--                                                                        --
--   As a special exception, if other files instantiate generics from     --
--   this unit, or you link this unit with other files to produce an      --
--   executable, this unit does not by itself cause the resulting         --
--   executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This     --
--   exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the      --
--   executable file might be covered by the GNU Public License.          --
--                                                                        --

The last paragraph is the one that seperates GMGPL from GPL. But you
might also want to look at:

  ... either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

You can remove the ", or (at your option) any later version." if you
don't feel comfortable with it.

Linux has a similar license:

      NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
    services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
    of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
    Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
    Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
    kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

    Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
    is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
    v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.

                                    Linus Torvalds

Preben
--
This is Ada95 land. On quiet nights you can hear C programmers debug.