* What's the status of GCC-3.x Ada?
@ 2003-05-31 15:31 Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2003-05-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I keep seeing references to posts saying that this version of GNAT isn't
too safe but I cannot find anything more.

Can someone please tell me the current status of this compiler? Also, what
version of GNAT is it?

On ACT's page they have "anounced" GNAT Pro 3.16a and 5.00a, when will the
GPL'd version become available do you think?

I'm asking because I'd like - for a bit of fun - to port GNAT over to the
PS2 (at work), but the only compilers available are 2.95.3 and a beta
version of 3.2. Can I use the 2.95.3 compiler as the back-end for
gnat-3.15p?

Thanks in advance,
Luke A. Guest.

* Re: What's the status of GCC-3.x Ada?
@ 2003-05-31 21:38 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-05-31 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good places to start are:
  For the current gcc sources that include GNAT:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/
  For the current ACT sources:
    http://libre.act-europe.fr/

GNAT has become a part of the standard GCC library maintained on the gcc
site, but ACT still maintains their own tree.  The sources at the GCC site
are the most current with respect to the back end, the sources at the ACT
site are the most current with respect to Ada.  The last I heard (on the GCC
mailing list) is that ACT is working toward keeping the two source trees
fairly well synchronized.

For a new port it's probably best to use the GCC site.  Once you figure out
how to use CVS you can get the latest sources from either site at any time.

I hope this helps,

Steve
(The Duck)

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@__n_o_s_p_a_m__abyss2.demon.co.uk______> wrote in
message
..

@ 2003-06-01  3:43 ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2003-06-01  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 31 May 2003 16:31:16 +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> Can someone please tell me the current status of this compiler? Also,
> what version of GNAT is it?

...and will it eventually have GLADE or some other support for the
Distributed Systems Annex?

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: What's the status of GCC-3.x Ada?
@ 2003-06-01  9:12   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 16:31:16 +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>
>> Can someone please tell me the current status of this compiler? Also,
>> what version of GNAT is it?
>
> ...and will it eventually have GLADE or some other support for the
> Distributed Systems Annex?

Probably, but it takes some time to port Gnat to fit with the new
backend. I have tested both 3.2 and 3.3 and it is improving. With 3.2 I
had problems with cos, sin etc... with 3.3 I didn't see any particular
problems, but at the moment I stick with 3.14p.

I also notice that a lot of C and C++ programs are being patched so that
they can compile with gcc 3.3. So I want to let gcc 3.3 mature more and
settle before using it.

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/

* Re: What's the status of GCC-3.x Ada?
@ 2003-06-02 19:09   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2003-06-02 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 31 May 2003 21:38:25 +0000, Steve wrote:

> GNAT has become a part of the standard GCC library maintained on the gcc
> site, but ACT still maintains their own tree.  The sources at the GCC site
> are the most current with respect to the back end, the sources at the ACT
> site are the most current with respect to Ada.  The last I heard (on the GCC
> mailing list) is that ACT is working toward keeping the two source trees
> fairly well synchronized.
>
> For a new port it's probably best to use the GCC site.  Once you figure out
> how to use CVS you can get the latest sources from either site at any time.

Thanks, I'll look at the latest from GCC and yes I know how to use CVS :-P

I'll look into CVS snapshots of GNAT. It'd be rather cool/fun to have Ada
on the PS2 ;-)

Thanks,
Luke.

* Re: What's the status of GCC-3.x Ada?
@ 2003-06-05  7:46     ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2003-06-05  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:12:45 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org>
wrote:
>[...] I have tested both 3.2 and 3.3 and it is improving. With 3.2 I
>had problems with cos, sin etc...

What wuld be done to: (1) get Gdb inside of Gvd to debug the 3.2 code (e.g. in
Linux/etc.): patch and gstab ?. Also, what about the GNAT.Traceback.Symbolic
feature ?.

Craig Carey