* Recommended free IDE on windows
@ 2003-04-08 13:45 Jano
From: Jano @ 2003-04-08 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm currently not bad using the regular windows explorer, a shell prompt
for make/launching, and Vim as code editor.

However, I wonder if there is some environment which can improve my
"coding experience". My only requisite is to be able to use vi-mode.

Thx.

--
-------------------------
Jano

* Re: Recommended free IDE on windows
@ 2003-04-08 14:17 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-08 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently not bad using the regular windows explorer, a shell prompt
> for make/launching, and Vim as code editor.

I use Vim too and here is a screenshot how it looks like when I code:

   http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Vim/project-ada.png

(Picture is from Linux, but you can get the same behaviour in Windows)

> However, I wonder if there is some environment which can improve my
> "coding experience". My only requisite is to be able to use vi-mode.

http://vim.sf.net is your friend.

I use these excellent scripts:

If you prefer a different IDE there is also:

but I like the project approch more.

Send me a mail if you want more hints/tips.

Preben

* Re: Recommended free IDE on windows
@ 2003-04-08 15:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently not bad using the regular windows explorer, a shell prompt
> for make/launching, and Vim as code editor.
>
> However, I wonder if there is some environment which can improve my
> "coding experience". My only requisite is to be able to use vi-mode.

Emacs is the most powerful IDE. It supports Ada directly, and has a vi
keybinding set. It takes a while to learn, but is well worth it.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Recommended free IDE on windows
@ 2003-04-08 15:09   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Emacs is the most powerful IDE. It supports Ada directly, and has a vi
> keybinding set. It takes a while to learn, but is well worth it.

The vi(per) mode of Emacs cannot compete with Vim itself :-)

Preben

* Re: Recommended free IDE on windows
@ 2003-04-08 18:27     ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2003-04-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol dice...
> Stephen Leake wrote:
> > Emacs is the most powerful IDE. It supports Ada directly, and has a vi
> > keybinding set. It takes a while to learn, but is well worth it.
>
> The vi(per) mode of Emacs cannot compete with Vim itself :-)

Many thanks both of you. I didn't knew Vim could do these things, I'll
try.

I'm also willing to try Emacs, but I need a bit more of spare time (my
few experiences with Emacs, years ago, were painful...)

--
Jano