From: Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org (Colin Paul Gloster)
Subject: Re: Ansi.sys
Date: 10 Mar 2003 11:20:14 GMT
Date: 2003-03-10T11:20:14+00:00	[thread overview]

In article news:3e6c7077$0$23930$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-01.noos.net
S�bastien Bourgogne wrote:
"I am just intall the cygwin and toosl!!
but i can proceed to run my exe file? I don't know very good unix world!!
:-(
for exemple my prog call : exemple_gf_direct1.exe"

Cygwin is not UNIX, it simply gives you a way on Windows to use command
lines and other interfaces similar to those more common on UNIX. You can
still run Windows programs. For example, if your program is in C:\prog
you can cd to the directory and run the program from there like
cd //C/prog
./exemple_gf_direct1.exe
or you can just run it from wherever you are like
//C/prog/exemple_gf_direct1.exe
(I do not have Cygwin on the machine I am on right now so you might have
to replace //C/ with something slightly different like ///C/ or a more
UNIX-like / ).

"how can i know if tcsh shell is install?"

You don't need it, by default Cygwin uses bash (or rather BASH.EXE). If
you want to, you could check if there is a TCSH.EXE program in the same
directory and use that instead.

Note that in Windows 2000 DOS boxes and probably in Cygwin shells on
Windows 2000 too, a different character set is used than in GUI
applications on Windows 2000 and GUI/DOS applications on other versions of
Win32. The character set Windows 2000 DOS boxes seem to display seems to
be the IBM Extended ASCII character set which was used on most PCs running
DOS as their OS.

Good luck.