* ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-21 20:01 alfonso acosta
From: alfonso acosta @ 2003-02-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi:

Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set of
ada files?

Thanks in advance

Alfonso Acosta

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-21 20:23 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-02-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3e56861a$1_1@news.arrakis.es>, alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> writes:

> Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set of
> ada files?

The answer might depend on your environment.  For DEC/Compaq/HP Ada (83)
on VMS the answer would be "Source Code Analyzer".  I don't know if GNAT
on VMS emits data for Source Code Analyzer, but the instructions for
doing so are documented, and GNAT source is available... :-)

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-21 21:36 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-02-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> writes:

> hi:
>
> Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set
> of ada files?

Depends on exactly what you mean by "dependency tree".

GNAT provides the utility gnatxref, which probably does what you want.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-22  2:47   ` alfonso acosta
From: alfonso acosta @ 2003-02-22  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> writes:
>

>>hi:
>>
>>Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set
>>of ada files?
>

> Depends on exactly what you mean by "dependency tree".
>
> GNAT provides the utility gnatxref, which probably does what you want.

By dependency tree I meant a graphical representation of package
dependencies in a project.

Thanks

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-22 13:16 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-02-22 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

GPS was just recently released to supported customers..If this is treated
the same way as other GNAT
releases, I would expect a public release of the source code in 4-6
months....

http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/gps_set.htm

I know of no other free graphical dependency tree tool.. Most vendors
provide something like what you want with their tools (Seem to recall Green
Hills Ada doing this, and Rational Ada Analyzer)

Also take a look at

Understand for Ada (free (as in beer, not speech)) demo available
http://www.scitools.com/uada.html

"alfonso acosta" <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> hi:
>
> Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set of
> ada files?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alfonso Acosta

* GPS (was Re: ada  project dependency tree)
@ 2003-02-22 15:47   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-22 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> GPS was just recently released to supported customers..If this is treated
> the same way as other GNAT
> releases, I would expect a public release of the source code in 4-6
> months....
>
> http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/gps_set.htm

Wow, it looks really impressive!

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-22 16:35     ` Peter Richtmyer
From: Peter Richtmyer @ 2003-02-22 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> wrote in message news:<3e56e542>

>>Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set
> >>of ada files?

> By dependency tree I meant a graphical representation of package
> dependencies in a project.

Understand for Ada can give you this and alot more. It is not free.
But they have a very liberal policy for giving out evaluation
licenses.
IMHO, most Ada projects would save much money and time (especially
large re-use projects) if they bought this tool. It has a very easy to
use GUI interface,
and runs on lots of machines.

http://www.scitools.com/uada.html

good luck,
Peter

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-22 17:13 ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-02-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"alfonso acosta" <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set of
> ada files?

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I would expect this, or something like it,
to exist in every real Ada toolset, based on my recollection that
MIL-STD-1815A (and the subsequent ANSI/MIL standards) require the compiler
to verify that it is working from a consistently-compiled database (i.e.,
everything that with's everything else was compiled in a correct order).
This implies a dependency tree in the database.

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-22 21:04   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-02-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

> > Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set of
> > ada files?
>
> Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I would expect this, or something like it,
> to exist in every real Ada toolset, based on my recollection that
> MIL-STD-1815A (and the subsequent ANSI/MIL standards) require the compiler
> to verify that it is working from a consistently-compiled database (i.e.,
> everything that with's everything else was compiled in a correct order).
> This implies a dependency tree in the database.

The OP defined the "tree" he wants as a graphic representation -- not required
to meet the compilation order requirements of the Ada standard(s).

* Re: ada  project dependency tree
@ 2003-02-24 15:36     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-02-24 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
> > alfonso acosta <alfonso_acosta_mail@yahoo.es> writes:
> >
> >>hi:
> >>
> >>Is there an applicatoin which generates a dependency tree from a set
> >>of ada files?
> > Depends on exactly what you mean by "dependency tree". GNAT provides
> > the utility gnatxref, which probably does what you want.
> >

> By dependency tree I meant a graphical representation of package
> dependencies in a project.

Ok.

GPS (not yet available in a public release) does this.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GPS (was Re: ada  project dependency tree)
@ 2003-02-25 13:27     ` Volkert
From: Volkert @ 2003-02-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnb5f6r4.5qe.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> > GPS was just recently released to supported customers..If this is treated
> > the same way as other GNAT
> > releases, I would expect a public release of the source code in 4-6
> > months....
> >
> > http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/gps_set.htm
>
> Wow, it looks really impressive!
here is the announcement:

Announcing the release of the GNAT Programming System IDE

We are pleased to announce the release of the GNAT Programming System,
GPS, the Ada-aware and multi-language IDE that streamlines the
interaction between developers and their software. GPS integrates the
GNAT Pro tool set within a single development environment that makes
visual sense of code.

With its intuitive interface GPS is easy to use, simplifying source
navigation and highlighting the fundamental ideas in the program.
Designed by programmers for programmers, GPS is a new kind of IDE that
offers the experience of designing software in a uniquely comfortable
environment.

GPS is bundled with GNAT Pro and is available on the following host
platforms: sparc-solaris, x86-linux, x86-windows.

We invite you to visit our website at http://www.act-europe.fr or
http://www.gnat.com where you will find a variety of informative texts
and videos introducing GPS and highlighting its key features.

* Re: GPS (was Re: ada  project dependency tree)
@ 2003-02-25 15:52       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.gnat.com/texts/company/GPS_content/gps_video/

--

@ 2003-02-26 18:58       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-02-26 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

volkert@nivoba.de (Volkert) writes:

> here is the announcement:
>
> Announcing the release of the GNAT Programming System IDE
>
> <snip>
>
> With its intuitive interface GPS is easy to use,

I wish software companies would stop calling these things "intuitive".
Strictly speaking, that means any _human_ would find them simple to
understand. My wife, who is a social worker, does _not_ find GPS
"intuitive"!

What they really mean is "familiar to anyone who has used similar
products". In this case, that means Borland C++ IDE, MS Visual Studio,
ObjectAda IDE, etc. It does _not_ mean Emacs, so _I_ find it
_unfamiliar_ and _frustrating_!

Ooh, that felt good :).

--

@ 2003-02-27 12:19         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-27 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I wish software companies would stop calling these things "intuitive".
> Strictly speaking, that means any _human_ would find them simple to
> understand. My wife, who is a social worker, does _not_ find GPS
> "intuitive"!

I find this a bit funny (from Webster)

intuition :

   2c : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or
   cognition without evident rational thought and inference

.. without evident rational thought..

> What they really mean is "familiar to anyone who has used similar
> products". In this case, that means Borland C++ IDE, MS Visual Studio,
> ObjectAda IDE, etc. It does _not_ mean Emacs, so _I_ find it
> _unfamiliar_ and _frustrating_!

But can't you _use_ Emacs with GPS? :-)

   GPS language-sensitive editor

       [...]
       GPS is also integrated with external editors such as Emacs or
       vi.

--

@ 2003-02-27 17:19           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-02-27 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
> > I wish software companies would stop calling these things "intuitive".
> > Strictly speaking, that means any _human_ would find them simple to
> > understand. My wife, who is a social worker, does _not_ find GPS
> > "intuitive"!
>
> I find this a bit funny (from Webster)
>
> intuition :
>
>    2c : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or
>    cognition without evident rational thought and inference
>
> .. without evident rational thought..
>
> > What they really mean is "familiar to anyone who has used similar
> > products". In this case, that means Borland C++ IDE, MS Visual Studio,
> > ObjectAda IDE, etc. It does _not_ mean Emacs, so _I_ find it
> > _unfamiliar_ and _frustrating_!
>
> But can't you _use_ Emacs with GPS? :-)

I think you can tell GPS to use Emacs for some things, maybe even run
Emacs in one of its windows. But there's no point! Emacs is a full
featured IDE, so is GPS*. There's not much
point in mixing the two.

>    GPS language-sensitive editor
>
>        [...]
>        GPS is also integrated with external editors such as Emacs or
>        vi.

I have not played with this, so I don't really know what they mean by
"integrated" here.

--
-- Stephe

*actually, Emacs does more than GPS, except the graphical tree
displays, and does it better :).