* Parsing tags (gnatxref)
@ 2002-11-13 15:49 Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

For vim and other utilities there are tools for using tags that are
generated from exhuberant ctags. (http://ctags.sf.net) However ctags
doesn't support Ada, but with gnat there is gnatxref.

gnatxref has a switch for generating Vi compatible tag lists, but it
gives a too minimalistic list. I mean that it doesn't include
information on what the different tags is like procedure, function,
object etc... So I'm looking into making a program for parsing the
full tag file that gnatxref can generate. However before I start doing
this I would like to know if somebody else have already done this?

Thanks in advance.

Preben
--
Preben Randhol ------------------------ http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
�There are three things you can do to a woman. You can love her, suffer

* Re: Parsing tags (gnatxref)
@ 2002-11-13 17:40 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-11-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> For vim and other utilities there are tools for using tags that are
> generated from exhuberant ctags. (http://ctags.sf.net) However ctags
> doesn't support Ada, but with gnat there is gnatxref.
>
> gnatxref has a switch for generating Vi compatible tag lists, but it
> gives a too minimalistic list. I mean that it doesn't include
> information on what the different tags is like procedure, function,
> object etc...

If "standard" vi (or Vim) can use this information, then "standard"
gnatxref should output it; send in a request to report@gnat.com. Since
they already generate the info, it should not be hard to add to the
"vi" output.

Better yet, get the sources, do the mod yourself, and send that in :).

> So I'm looking into making a program for parsing the full tag file
> that gnatxref can generate. However before I start doing this I
> would like to know if somebody else have already done this?

There is code in Emacs ada-mode to deal with gnatxref; I'm not sure
exactly how it works. But I guess you meant "has anybody already done
this for vim".

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Parsing tags (gnatxref)
@ 2002-11-14  9:59   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> If "standard" vi (or Vim) can use this information, then "standard"
> gnatxref should output it; send in a request to report@gnat.com. Since
> they already generate the info, it should not be hard to add to the
> "vi" output.

Depends what you mean by standard :-) Vim is far more powerful and
better than Vi. I guess that one would perhaps need an extra flag.

The format can be found here: http://ctags.sourceforge.net/FORMAT

> Better yet, get the sources, do the mod yourself, and send that in :).

I think I'll first make a solution to use gnatxref as-is because then I
get to experiment with what works best. Then I'll see if gnatxref can be
improved. Is it written in Ada?

> There is code in Emacs ada-mode to deal with gnatxref; I'm not sure
> exactly how it works. But I guess you meant "has anybody already done
> this for vim".

No not really, but I don't know lisp so I think I would be a bit lost
there. :-)