* Problems by GNAT installation on Linux Mandrake OS
@ 2002-10-19 12:32 Karim
From: Karim @ 2002-10-19 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I tried to install the Gnat compiler with the doconfig and the
doinstall script..all works fine. First I installed all into the
/usr/gnat/bin Library.
After that, I tried to compile a simple hello World source  like this
gcc -c hello.adb    (and all that as root in the /usr/gnat/bin
directory)
There is an output from the system like this : gcc: hello.adb : Ada
compiler not installed on this system .
I changed the directory in doconfig script to /gnat  .. and received
the same message output..  what is wrong ?

Thanks for your support

* Re: Problems by GNAT installation on Linux Mandrake OS
@ 2002-10-19 14:28 ` sk
       [not found] ` <3DB16BF5.404EBF3C@myob.com>
From: sk @ 2002-10-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Please supply more information ...

Mandrake version ? Gnat version ? Host gcc
version (type "gcc -v") ?

Without these details it is difficult to
make any suggestions.

> There is an output from the system like
> this : gcc: hello.adb : Ada compiler not
> installed on this system

Could you also provide the EXACT error
message, not "like"

--
-------------------------------------
-- Merge vertically for real address

@ 2002-10-19 15:10   ` sk
From: sk @ 2002-10-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

fab102@bluemail.ch (Karim)
> <snip>

Was the exact message the following ?

"gcc: build_jail_driver.adb: Ada compiler not installed on this
system"

If so, read the very last line of the output from
the "doconfig" script ...

Once out of root user mode, and maybe add to your
login configuration scripts,

$ export PATH="/usr/gnat/bin:$PATH"

Do not do this for the root user, only for
users who need gnat. I vaguely recall many
system level building problems if I try to
use gcc-2.8.1 as the system compiler.

--
-------------------------------------

@ 2002-10-19 19:17   ` Karim
From: Karim @ 2002-10-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

O.k, here are more informations, perhaps that can help
The ADA version is 3.14p and the mandrake version is hmm (I try to
remember)
...I be sure that is an very new Version  like 8.x  ..
The error message above is the exactly output on the screen..
Is there something wrong with the path ?
There were also a message when I installed gnat the first time in
normal path /usr/gnat/bin  : MESSAGE : There are some old ggc files,
please remove it or try another options.

@ 2002-10-19 21:06 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-19 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried to install the Gnat compiler with the doconfig and the
> doinstall script..all works fine. First I installed all into the
> /usr/gnat/bin Library.
> After that, I tried to compile a simple hello World source  like this
> gcc -c hello.adb    (and all that as root in the /usr/gnat/bin
> directory)
> There is an output from the system like this : gcc: hello.adb : Ada
> compiler not installed on this system .
> I changed the directory in doconfig script to /gnat  .. and received
> the same message output..  what is wrong ?

Very likely your problem is that when you type the command
gcc -c hello.adb
you are getting the standard (non-ada) version of gcc.

To be sure type gcc -v
You will probably get something like
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
as a response.

The solution to the problem is to add /usr/gnat/bin in your path
before the directory where the standard gcc is located,
probably /usr/bin

After doing that when you type gcc -v you should receive the
response
Reading specs from /usr/gnat/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.8.1/specs

@ 2002-10-20 11:06     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-20 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karim wrote:
> O.k, here are more informations, perhaps that can help
> The ADA version is 3.14p and the mandrake version is hmm (I try to
> remember)
> ...I be sure that is an very new Version  like 8.x  ..
> The error message above is the exactly output on the screen..
> Is there something wrong with the path ?
> There were also a message when I installed gnat the first time in
> normal path /usr/gnat/bin  : MESSAGE : There are some old ggc files,
> please remove it or try another options.

You have to use:

gnatmake and gnatgcc not gcc.

--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf

* Re: Problems by GNAT installation on Linux Mandrake OS
@ 2002-10-20 11:40       ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-20 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > O.k, here are more informations, perhaps that can help
> > The ADA version is 3.14p and the mandrake version is hmm (I try to
> > remember)
> > ...I be sure that is an very new Version  like 8.x  ..
> > The error message above is the exactly output on the screen..
> > Is there something wrong with the path ?
> > There were also a message when I installed gnat the first time in
> > normal path /usr/gnat/bin  : MESSAGE : There are some old ggc files,
> > please remove it or try another options.
>
> You have to use:
>
> gnatmake and gnatgcc not gcc.

This is incorrect information.  There is no gnatgcc in the 3.14p
distribution as it comes from ftp.cs.nyu.edu.  The correct solution is
that which I provided earlier, viz.:

@ 2002-10-20 11:57         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-20 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:
>> You have to use:
>>
>> gnatmake and gnatgcc not gcc.
>
> This is incorrect information.  There is no gnatgcc in the 3.14p
> distribution as it comes from ftp.cs.nyu.edu.  The correct solution is
> that which I provided earlier, viz.:

Hmm. Very odd that they don't call it gnatgcc. In both the Debian
package and the older Redhat package the gcc is named gnatgcc to avoid
this problem.

> The solution to the problem is to add /usr/gnat/bin in your path
> before the directory where the standard gcc is located,
> probably /usr/bin

Not a good solution either because then you will use the gcc of
/usr/gnat/bin if you compile a C or C++ program too. F.ex when you need
to compile the kernel.

I would rather do:

gnatmake --GCC=/usr/gnat/bin/gnatgcc

after renaming the /usr/gnat/bin/gcc to /usr/gnat/bin/gnatgcc to avoid
other problems.

Preben
--

@ 2002-10-20 12:05   ` Karim
From: Karim @ 2002-10-20 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

It works with the Path export. But when I open a new console the path
switch back to /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
(I`m root)
I can compile the adb files but I have to manipulate the path each
time when I start the console with ..export PATH="/usr/gnat/bin:$PATH"

Thanks for the help

* Re: Problems by GNAT installation on Linux Mandrake OS
@ 2002-10-20 12:32     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-20 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It works with the Path export. But when I open a new console the path
> switch back to /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
> (I`m root)
> I can compile the adb files but I have to manipulate the path each
> time when I start the console with ..export PATH="/usr/gnat/bin:$PATH"

Why not set it up in your .profile file?

@ 2002-10-20 13:31     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karim wrote:
> It works with the Path export. But when I open a new console the path
> switch back to /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
> (I`m root)

You should never use root for ordinary things. You should create a user
and use this for all work and only use root when you need to install
software or change config files in /etc etc...

   The root account

   All Linux distributions setup a special account called root during
   installation. Unlike ordinary user accounts which, for security
   reasons, restrict what you can read, alter, and run, the root account
   gives you access to everything.

   Because being logged-in as root is both dangerous to the well-being
   of your Linux installation, and for the most part unnecessary, for
   everyday-use you should use an ordinary user account.

--

@ 2002-10-20 16:38           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-10-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:
> >> You have to use:
> >>
> >> gnatmake and gnatgcc not gcc.
> >
> > This is incorrect information.  There is no gnatgcc in the 3.14p
> > distribution as it comes from ftp.cs.nyu.edu.  The correct solution is
> > that which I provided earlier, viz.:
>
> Hmm. Very odd that they don't call it gnatgcc. In both the Debian
> package and the older Redhat package the gcc is named gnatgcc to avoid
> this problem.
>
> > The solution to the problem is to add /usr/gnat/bin in your path
> > before the directory where the standard gcc is located,
> > probably /usr/bin
>
> Not a good solution either because then you will use the gcc of
> /usr/gnat/bin if you compile a C or C++ program too. F.ex when you need
> to compile the kernel.
>
> I would rather do:
>
> gnatmake --GCC=/usr/gnat/bin/gnatgcc
>
> after renaming the /usr/gnat/bin/gcc to /usr/gnat/bin/gnatgcc to avoid
> other problems.

Or (as I have said before) see http://www.pushface.org/gnatfe/ for a
way of having several GNAT installations at the same time and choosing
which to use on the basis of an environment variable.