From: Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Conflicting statements about GPS?
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:58:46 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2002-10-19T10:58:46+00:00	[thread overview]

John Stoneham wrote:
> I am, surely like most on this ng who use gnat, eagerly awaiting the
> any-week-now release of GPS. However, after combing through what I could
> find as "official" statements about it (mainly from Robert Dewar), I have
> become concerned. One statement clearly emphasised that GPS was "Free
> Software", which would benefit from the input of many users, and this raised
> my hopes. But the only statements regarding it's release that I could find
> referred to those using Gnat Pro, which is not free.

It is Free but not gratis (no cost) as it is supported software. I'm
only hoping that there will be a public release (gratis, not supported)
later of GPS like they do with the Gnat compiler.

> to paying customers. Nor do I think it proper to call it "Free
> Software" if it is only intended to be offered for free after a major
> upgrade to the paying customers, and the "free" part is the old
> version made freely available after a year or more. But maybe that's
> just me.

Yes I think so. Read on the definition of Free Software at http://www.fsf.org/

Preben
--
This is Ada land. On quiet nights you can hear C programmers debug.