* Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16  7:42 Sim Con
From: Sim Con @ 2002-10-16  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another day, another silly question (sorry in advance ^_^ ).

I'd like to build a program that send data through a lan (using
802.2/802.3 standard in a windows enviroment) and a program that receive
and process that data, any help for resources about ada and 802.2/.3?
any help is useful, thanx in advance ^_^

* Re: Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16 10:56 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-10-16 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you looking to drop below any of the normal protocol layers (like TCP,
UDP) and
do something custom?

If you are just trying to do typical "sending data on a network" look at
either GNAT.Sockets or the package adasockets.

"Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Another day, another silly question (sorry in advance ^_^ ).
>
> I'd like to build a program that send data through a lan (using
> 802.2/802.3 standard in a windows enviroment) and a program that receive
> and process that data, any help for resources about ada and 802.2/.3?
> any help is useful, thanx in advance ^_^
>

> --

* Re: Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16 13:22   ` Sim Con
From: Sim Con @ 2002-10-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message

> Are you looking to drop below any of the normal protocol layers (like TCP,
> UDP) and
> do something custom?

well, i'd like infos also in this direction whereas i try to study
adasockets;) thanx!

* Re: Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16 13:44     ` Sim Con
From: Sim Con @ 2002-10-16 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

More : surfing on the net i found something different.
The adasocket suggested before seems use winsock of windows system and
is more "internet oriented" (probably i wrong, but how use it for an ipx
transmission?).
Surfing i found an ada source code that use some pragma imported
function like

pragma Import (C, socket, "socket");
pragma Import (C, bind, "bind");

and from my limited knowledge i assume that there is somewhere an c
library with socket and bind function.
Now, this last example can help me more, since expects some library
probably related deeply with the vendor's ethernet card (or i wrong
again?) and if so, where can i find this library? Many thanx for any
help, bye!! ^_^

* Re: Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16 14:22     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/adasockets.html.en

--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf

* Re: Ada and 802.2/802.3
@ 2002-10-16 22:49       ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-10-16 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com> wrote in message > Now, this last example can
help me more, since expects some library
> probably related deeply with the vendor's ethernet card (or i wrong
> again?) and if so, where can i find this library? Many thanx for any
> help, bye!! ^_^

No. Not a library related to a vendor's ethernet card. A standard OS
provided service under Unix and Windows (well at least in windows since ~95
it was included..older versions had winsock as a separate program)