* Ada OS again
@ 2002-06-22 14:10 Frederic BOYER
From: Frederic BOYER @ 2002-06-22 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've just (re)started to design an operating system on top of L4.
The main goal is to write it in Ada of course.

I began to work on this project about 4 years ago (called
ADX then). ADX was forgotten but Idea still.

The main goal is to provide a small but good Unix like O.S. writen in
Ada like
HURD, but based on L4, very modular and extensible. I'd like to
share idea and discussions about this projects with other Ada'er :-)

Any volontear ?

Frederic.

* Re: Ada OS again
@ 2002-07-02  8:11 ` Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2002-07-02  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frederic BOYER wrote in comp.lang.ada:
> Hello,
>
> I've just (re)started to design an operating system on top of L4.
> The main goal is to write it in Ada of course.
>
> I began to work on this project about 4 years ago (called
> ADX then). ADX was forgotten but Idea still.

Did you get the Ada bindings for the L4 API working? If yes, would you
please share the code, as I might want to experiment a bit with it.

If yes, then there's no point in other poeple redoing the very dull
wrapping work ...

I'm involved in several other open-source projects, so some
experimentation is probably all I'll do, if even that. But perhaps it
will refresh my interest in kernel programming :-)

Gerhard
-
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0
public key fingerprint: DEC1 1D02 5743 1159 CD20  A4B6 7B22 6575 86AB 43C0

* Re: Ada OS again
@ 2002-07-03 22:08   ` Frederic BOYER
From: Frederic BOYER @ 2002-07-03 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> Did you get the Ada bindings for the L4 API working? If yes, would you
> please share the code, as I might want to experiment a bit with it.

I've just start to implement the l4adalib that is the wrapper of the 7 system
calls
and their variants. After I'all try to port GNULL & GNARL on the top of this
lib.

> If yes, then there's no point in other poeple redoing the very dull
> wrapping work ...

No pb, When I will finish this work, I will send it to you.

> I'm involved in several other open-source projects, so some
> experimentation is probably all I'll do, if even that. But perhaps it
> will refresh my interest in kernel programming :-)

linux on L4 ... DROPS, etc .... ;-)

What do you think about another Unix like OS on top of L4 written in Ada ?

Best regards,

Frederic.

* Re: Ada OS again
@ 2002-07-05  4:23     ` Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2002-07-05  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frederic BOYER wrote in comp.lang.ada:
Salut!

>> [me:]
>> I'm involved in several other open-source projects, so some
>> experimentation is probably all I'll do, if even that. But perhaps
>> it will refresh my interest in kernel programming :-)
>
> linux on L4 ... DROPS, etc .... ;-)
>
> What do you think about another Unix like OS on top of L4 written in
> Ada ?

The advantage would be that Unixen are a well researched field with
many open source implementations to look at. So you don't need to
reinvent the wheel, like for schedulers, filesystems, etc.

The disadvantage is IMO that yet another Unix is nothing new.

OTOH I strongly believe in incremental development and refactoring.
Even a boring Unix clone like Linux can grow interesting features like
access control lists, transparent clustering (MOSIX), and privilege
separation in the kernel. Not bad for a monolithic kernel written in
C, IMO :-)

Gerhard
--

@ 2002-07-06  1:20 ` Caffeine Junky
From: Caffeine Junky @ 2002-07-06  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:10:58 -0400, Frederic BOYER wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just (re)started to design an operating system on top of L4. The
> main goal is to write it in Ada of course.
>
> I began to work on this project about 4 years ago (called ADX then). ADX
> was forgotten but Idea still.
>
> The main goal is to provide a small but good Unix like O.S. writen in
> Ada like
> HURD, but based on L4, very modular and extensible. I'd like to share
> idea and discussions about this projects with other Ada'er :-)
>
> Any volontear ?
>
> Frederic.

I'd be interested in playing with it. Even as an Ada novice I could still
learn alot and perhaps even contribute.

Is there a website for it?

St4pL3

* Re: Ada OS again
@ 2002-07-11 20:32 ` Olivier Scalbert
From: Olivier Scalbert @ 2002-07-11 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cool ! I do not know Ada yet, but I am tired to program in C, C++ and Java ...
That can be a good oportunity to start ...

It would be interesting to rewrite L4 in Ada before.

Any web site ?

Regards

Olivier