From: "Gerhard Häring" <gerhard@bigfoot.de>
Subject: Re: Ada OS again
Date: 5 Jul 2002 04:23:44 GMT
Date: 2002-07-05T04:23:44+00:00	[thread overview]

Frederic BOYER wrote in comp.lang.ada:
Salut!

>> [me:]
>> I'm involved in several other open-source projects, so some
>> experimentation is probably all I'll do, if even that. But perhaps
>> it will refresh my interest in kernel programming :-)
>
> linux on L4 ... DROPS, etc .... ;-)
>
> What do you think about another Unix like OS on top of L4 written in
> Ada ?

The advantage would be that Unixen are a well researched field with
many open source implementations to look at. So you don't need to
reinvent the wheel, like for schedulers, filesystems, etc.

The disadvantage is IMO that yet another Unix is nothing new.

OTOH I strongly believe in incremental development and refactoring.
Even a boring Unix clone like Linux can grow interesting features like
access control lists, transparent clustering (MOSIX), and privilege
separation in the kernel. Not bad for a monolithic kernel written in
C, IMO :-)

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0