* ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07  9:36 Thomas Wolf
From: Thomas Wolf @ 2002-05-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaBrowse is a HTML documentation generator for Ada 95 library
unit specifications. It is distributed under the GPL and is
available at the URL

<http://home.tiscalinet.ch/t_wolf/tw/ada95/adabrowse/>,

both a pre-built executable (for Win NT/2k and GNAT 3.14p), and
the sources.

AdaBrowse builds and runs without further ado on both Win NT/2k
and Unix systems, and shouldn't be too hard to port to other ASIS
implementations than ASIS-for-GNAT.

(For those who have never heard of AdaBrowse yet: it is like a
javadoc for Ada 95, but much more versatile and powerful than
javadoc for Java.)

V2.0 is a major upgrade over the last announced version 1.5:

- Some more work-arounds for bugs in ASIS-for-GNAT 3.14p.

- It now supports user-defineable HTML elements. AdaBrowse
  macro-replaces such user-defined elements; recursive
  definitions give an error. User-defined HTML elements
  are specified through keys in configuration files.

- Configuration files can include other configuration files.
  Recursive inclusion is detected and gives an error message.

- On some keys in configuration files, AdaBrowse now does
  environment variable substitution (using the bash syntax).

Thomas Wolf                          e-mail: t_wolf@angelfire.com

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 10:34 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 11:36:34 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:

> AdaBrowse is a HTML documentation generator for Ada 95 library
> unit specifications. It is distributed under the GPL and is
> available at the URL

Great!

Just a tip; in Linux the GNAT gcc is named gnatgcc

--
Preben who added -gnaty3abcefiklmnoprst to his Makefile and got a lot of
new CVS submissions ;-) I really like this style check feature!

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 10:40   ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2002-05-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 12:34 pm, Preben Randhol wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2002 11:36:34 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:
> > AdaBrowse is a HTML documentation generator for Ada 95 library
> > unit specifications. It is distributed under the GPL and is
> > available at the URL
>
> Great!
>
> Just a tip; in Linux the GNAT gcc is named gnatgcc

That's true for Debian, is it the same for other Linux distributions?

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 11:52     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 12:40:32 +0200, Duncan Sands wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 12:34 pm, Preben Randhol wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 May 2002 11:36:34 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:
>> > AdaBrowse is a HTML documentation generator for Ada 95 library
>> > unit specifications. It is distributed under the GPL and is
>> > available at the URL
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> Just a tip; in Linux the GNAT gcc is named gnatgcc
>
> That's true for Debian, is it the same for other Linux distributions?

Yes I would think so. At least the RPMS at gnuada.org used this. The
reason is that gcc on Linux systems is either the 2.95 or the 3.0
version and therefore the gnatgcc must be seperate as it uses the gcc
2.8x.

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 11:55   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-05-07 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 06:55:47 -0500, David C. Hoos wrote:
>> Just a tip; in Linux the GNAT gcc is named gnatgcc
> That's not true from the GNAT distributions from
> ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> As far as I know, it's true _only_ of the distributions
> from Ada Linux Team.

So? If you use Linux you should use them.

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 13:05       ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-05-07 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, 7 May 2002 06:55:47 -0500, David C. Hoos wrote:
> >> Just a tip; in Linux the GNAT gcc is named gnatgcc
> > That's not true from the GNAT distributions from
> > ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
> >
> > As far as I know, it's true _only_ of the distributions
> > from Ada Linux Team.
>
> So? If you use Linux you should use them.

Do you mean to tell me that I shouldn't be using gnat 3.14p
under Linux?  Surely you jest.

Tips are only useful if they are true within whatever scope
is specified -- in this case "in Linux"

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 13:45         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 08:05:58 -0500, David C. Hoos wrote:
>> So? If you use Linux you should use them.
>>
> Do you mean to tell me that I shouldn't be using gnat 3.14p
> under Linux?  Surely you jest.

No you should use the gnat 3.14p that are distributed either from Debian
or gnuada.org as they are precompiled and easy to install packages that
are compatible with Linux otherwise.

> Tips are only useful if they are true within whatever scope
> is specified -- in this case "in Linux"

Do you use Linux? If so tell me please how you mix the C kompiler gcc
version 2.95 with the gcc from gnat?

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 14:01           ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-05-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 09:01:34 -0500, David C. Hoos wrote:

> Yes I do.  I normally have no need for any other C compiler than that
> which is
> part of the GNAT distribution.  Therefore, I make /usr/gnat/bin, the third
> directory in my path (after ., and ~/bin).  The only times I use C in my
> work
> directly, it's usually for system-dependent code used to aid in creating an
> Ada
> binding to some functionality in the C run-time.
>
> On the few occasions I've needed gcc 2.95 (i.e. to compile some application
> or library that needs it), I do so in another account that doesn't need to
> compile with GNAT.

To me this sounds much more involved than simply to name it gnatgcc and
use it as such. Of course when gnat is integrated with 3.1 things will
be easy again. At least I need a C compiler to compile the kernel or
sound support etc... I also need the g77 compiler from time to time and
this is version 2.95 and thus need gcc 2.95. The C++ compiler I don't
need though :-)

Anyway normal users should use the rpm and deb packages
as they are much easier to install/uninstall and will keep the system's
integrety. So it would be nice if the Adabrowse program has a :

   compiler_command : constant String := "gcc ";

and use this throughout the program. Bcs then one only have to change
it at one place and not 4-5 places as one must do now :-) However if one
wants to distribute binaries, then perhaps a command line argument would
be at it's place to specify which compiler to use.

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 14:22               ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-05-07 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyway normal users should use the rpm and deb packages
> as they are much easier to install/uninstall and will keep the system's
> integrety. So it would be nice if the Adabrowse program has a :

So you're saying "normal users" should not use gnat-3.14p under Linux,
as there are no rpm packages for it (as far as I know).  Do I understand
you correctly?

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-07 14:50                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 May 2002 09:22:13 -0500, David C. Hoos wrote:

> So you're saying "normal users" should not use gnat-3.14p under Linux,
> as there are no rpm packages for it (as far as I know).  Do I understand
> you correctly?

Ah now I understand you. No, I was sure that the rpms had been updated too,
but I see now that they haven't. Hmm odd... I was so sure I had seen
that, but I guess I mixed up the version with the GNU/Debian Linux.

Ok, then I'll say use GNU/Debian Linux ;-)

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-08  7:03               ` Thomas Wolf
From: Thomas Wolf @ 2002-05-08  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

[CC by e-mail to Preben Randhol]

randhol+abuse@pvv.org wrote in comp.lang.ada:

> So it would be nice if the Adabrowse program has a :
>
>    compiler_command : constant String := "gcc ";
>
> and use this throughout the program. Bcs then one only have to change
> it at one place and not 4-5 places as one must do now :-) However if one
> wants to distribute binaries, then perhaps a command line argument would
> be at it's place to specify which compiler to use.

I don't get it. You don't have to modify the sources if your compiler is
called "gnatgcc". Just define in a config file (say, "adabrowse.cfg")

  Compile = gnatgcc -c -gnatc -gnatt

and define (in your shell) an alias

  alias adabrowse = 'adabrowse -c adabrowse.cfg'

and all should be fine. (OK, some error messages will still say
"gcc"...)

So it's not a command-line option (there's already enough of that, and
furthermore, it's not likely that the compile command needs to be
changed often), but a configuration file key.

But anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If you want to be certain that
I see such improvement proposals (or bug reports), please send them
to the e-mail address given in the user's guide, section 11. I do not
follow cla on a regular basis.

@ 2002-05-08 11:08                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-08 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 May 2002 09:03:06 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:
> But anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If you want to be certain that
> I see such improvement proposals (or bug reports), please send them
> to the e-mail address given in the user's guide, section 11. I do not
> follow cla on a regular basis.

OK I'm sorry, but why don't you put the user guide on the web page too? I
didn't see it among the 103 files in the source distribution.

Preben

* Re: ANN: AdaBrowse 2.0
@ 2002-05-08 13:01                   ` Thomas Wolf
From: Thomas Wolf @ 2002-05-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

randhol+abuse@pvv.org wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002 09:03:06 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:
> > But anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If you want to be certain that
> > I see such improvement proposals (or bug reports), please send them
> > to the e-mail address given in the user's guide, section 11. I do not
> > follow cla on a regular basis.
>
> OK I'm sorry, but why don't you put the user guide on the web page too? I
> didn't see it among the 103 files in the source distribution.

OK, done. :-)

However, the README.txt says:

BEFORE USING AdaBrowse, READ THE USER'S GUIDE IN FILE adabrowse_ug.html!

And I just double-checked (just to verify that it didn't get lost
by error somewhere along the line), adabrowse_ug.html *is* in the
distribution (both source and binary).

@ 2002-05-08 14:07                     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-08 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 May 2002 15:01:49 +0200, Thomas Wolf wrote:
> OK, done. :-)

Ah good :-)

Preben
--
"Jeg tror nordmenn har glemt hvordan de tilbreder fisk. De er mest
 opptatt av firkantet fisk."