* GPS
@ 2002-05-02 17:49 Brian Catlin
From: Brian Catlin @ 2002-05-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any chance of getting GPS to incorporate support for the new Vesta
configuration/build tool?  Information on Vesta can be found at www.vestasys.org
A good comparison of Vesta, CVS, RCS and Make can be found at
http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/SRC/research-reports/abstracts/src-rr-168.html

 -Brian

Brian Catlin, Sannas Consulting 310-798-8930
Windows Network, Video, WDM Device Driver Training & Consulting
See WWW.AZIUS.COM for courses and scheduling

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-02 18:46 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-05-02 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brian Catlin" <brianc@sannas.org> writes:

> Any chance of getting GPS to incorporate support for the new Vesta
> configuration/build tool?

Hmm, why is Vesta support important?  Personally, I'd rather see Aegis
support, but I probably won't like the editor integrated into GPS and
therefore not use it anyway. :-/

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-02 19:10   ` Brian Catlin
From: Brian Catlin @ 2002-05-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message
> "Brian Catlin" <brianc@sannas.org> writes:
>
> > Any chance of getting GPS to incorporate support for the new Vesta
> > configuration/build tool?
>
> Hmm, why is Vesta support important?  Personally, I'd rather see Aegis
> support, but I probably won't like the editor integrated into GPS and
> therefore not use it anyway. :-/

Because Vesta is much better than any of the configuration/build tools that are
currently supported by GPS

 -Brian

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-02 19:47   ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 2002-05-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 02 May 2002 20:46:13 +0200, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
wrote in <87g01a1j7u.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>:

>  "Brian Catlin" <brianc@sannas.org> writes:
>
> > Any chance of getting GPS to incorporate support for the new Vesta
> > configuration/build tool?
>
>  Hmm, why is Vesta support important?  Personally, I'd rather see Aegis
>  support, but I probably won't like the editor integrated into GPS and
>  therefore not use it anyway. :-/

It should be possible to embed another text editor into it, either
gvim or xemacs or similar.

Course, I say this without having only read the pdf, not the source
code...

- Aidan
--
aidan@velvet.net  http://www.velvet.net/~aidan/  aim:aidans42
finger for pgp key fingerprint |Unix Programmer/Admin actively seeking work

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 11:49   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-03 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 02 May 2002 20:46:13 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Hmm, why is Vesta support important?  Personally, I'd rather see Aegis
> support, but I probably won't like the editor integrated into GPS and
> therefore not use it anyway. :-/

you mean: aegis.sf.net ?

But GPS looks like a very nice IDE! Not only the functionality, but it
also is eye-candy which surprisingly is important for many. And if one
can use emacs or vi in stead of the editor it would be very nice for
many. I would hope gvim (GTK version of vim) can be plugged in. A very
nice tool indeed. I especially would like to use the graph thingy if GPS
becomes available public, though I would understand if it didn't as it
must have costed to make this nice IDE.

Preben

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 12:55     ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-05-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
[snip]
>...A very nice tool indeed. I especially would like to use the graph thingy
if GPS
> becomes available public, though I would understand if it didn't as it
> must have costed to make this nice IDE.
Given the history of ACT I would be surprised if it were not made public.
The fact that it cost to make the nice IDE has little to do with their free
sofware philosophy.  Look at GVD, XML/Ada, GNAT, Glide, etc.

SteveD

> Preben

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 14:37       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 May 2002 12:55:28 GMT, Steve Doiel wrote:

> Given the history of ACT I would be surprised if it were not made public.
> The fact that it cost to make the nice IDE has little to do with their free
> sofware philosophy.  Look at GVD, XML/Ada, GNAT, Glide, etc.

I agree, anyway we'll see in Q4 what happens :-) If made public though,
it would be a major tool also for the C users out there in the Open
Source community, so I would think it could aquire a lot of users. And
hopefully people will pick up that the program is made with Ada95 and
*perhaps* think "Hmm, perhaps I should give this language a try!" :-)

Preben

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 21:25         ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-05-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> I agree, anyway we'll see in Q4 what happens :-) If made public though,
> it would be a major tool also for the C users out there in the Open
> Source community, so I would think it could aquire a lot of users. And
> hopefully people will pick up that the program is made with Ada95 and
> *perhaps* think "Hmm, perhaps I should give this language a try!" :-)
>
> Preben

People have obviously seen this running. Is there anywhere where
I could see screenshots of it? I've looked through ACT's web site,
but they have a fairly skimpy description.

Dale

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 21:31           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-03 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 May 2002 21:25:23 GMT, Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> People have obviously seen this running. Is there anywhere where
> I could see screenshots of it? I've looked through ACT's web site,
> but they have a fairly skimpy description.

Check the GPS Detailed Tour (PDF) on the front page of www.gnat.com
under the heading: What's new.

Preben
--
"Jeg tror nordmenn har glemt hvordan de tilbreder fisk. De er mest
 opptatt av firkantet fisk."

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-03 21:42           ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-05-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> People have obviously seen this running. Is there anywhere where
> I could see screenshots of it? I've looked through ACT's web site,
> but they have a fairly skimpy description.

I would hardly call 79 pages "a fairly skimpy description."

See http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/GPS_tour.pdf

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04  2:32         ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2002-05-04  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 May 2002 08:37:04 -0600, Preben Randhol wrote:

> On Fri, 03 May 2002 12:55:28 GMT, Steve Doiel wrote:
>
>> Given the history of ACT I would be surprised if it were not made
>> public. The fact that it cost to make the nice IDE has little to do
>> with their free sofware philosophy.  Look at GVD, XML/Ada, GNAT,
>> Glide, etc.
>
> I agree, anyway we'll see in Q4 what happens :-) If made public
> though, it would be a major tool also for the C users out there in the
> Open Source community, so I would think it could aquire a lot of
> users. And hopefully people will pick up that the program is made with
> Ada95 and *perhaps* think "Hmm, perhaps I should give this language a
> try!" :-)

Which brings up the question... Has anyone seen much movement of GVD
into the C/C++ world?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04  7:32             ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-05-04  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos wrote:

> I would hardly call 79 pages "a fairly skimpy description."
>
> See http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/GPS_tour.pdf

Oh..., maybe i should have called my examination of the site "skimpy"
:-)

Dale

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04  8:13               ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-05-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can GPS be customised easily for other languages?

The code in the examples look suspiciouly like the code for
GPS, and has English strings embedded in it.

Dale

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04 11:56                 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-05-04 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can GPS be customised easily for other languages?

Would that be, e.g., Autralian? ;)

> The code in the examples look suspiciouly like the code for
> GPS, and has English strings embedded in it.
>
> Dale

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04 12:24                   ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-05-04 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:

> > Can GPS be customised easily for other languages?
> >
> Would that be, e.g., Autralian? ;)

:-) Yes, i'ld like Finalise to be spelt correctly :-)

Dale

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04 12:27                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-04 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 04 May 2002 08:13:41 GMT, Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> Can GPS be customised easily for other languages?
>
> The code in the examples look suspiciouly like the code for
> GPS, and has English strings embedded in it.

If you look at page 25 you see it says:

Msg  => -"Are you sure you want to quit ?"

the "-" is in GtkAda defined as such:

   function "-" (Msg : String) return String is
   begin
      return Dgettext ("Programname", Msg);
   end "-";

and I expect they use this function as it comes from Glade (GUI
builder);

So it uses the gettext capabilities and internationalisation is then
done easily. How this work under Windows, I don't know as I haven't
tried it yet.

Preben
--

@ 2002-05-04 12:33           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-04 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 May 2002 20:32:51 -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> Which brings up the question... Has anyone seen much movement of GVD
> into the C/C++ world?

There are people on the gvd mailinglists asking about it and they use C/C++.
But I don't know how many. I don't know if GVD has gotten into most
distributions yet. It is in Debian and will be in the upcoming version,
but I don't know how it is in say Redhat, Suse etc... I think Gnat in gcc
will help too.

But if GPS is released I think it would be nice if the word was spread
in the Gnome and KDE community and on Linux today etc...

Preben

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04 16:15           ` Andrew W. Reynolds
From: Andrew W. Reynolds @ 2002-05-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> On Fri, 03 May 2002 08:37:04 -0600, Preben Randhol wrote:

[snip]

> Which brings up the question... Has anyone seen much movement of GVD
> into the C/C++ world?

Our organization has moved to GVD as the visual front-end to gdb for all
languages (C, C++, and Ada).

Andrew Reynolds
Protocol Design Services

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-04 23:48             ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2002-05-04 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 04 May 2002 06:33:43 -0600, Preben Randhol wrote:

> But if GPS is released I think it would be nice if the word was spread
> in the Gnome and KDE community and on Linux today etc...

It has already been mentioned on Slashdot, though in the "developers"
section rather than in the 'articles" section, so it hasn't attreacted
a lot of attention.

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/02/2359208

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-05  4:03     ` Zach Swanson
From: Zach Swanson @ 2002-05-05  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnad4u9h.3vq.randhol+abuse@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...

> But GPS looks like a very nice IDE! Not only the functionality, but it
> also is eye-candy which surprisingly is important for many.

I was just speaking to a friend of mine about this tonight. We
concluded that its important for an application to "look pretty", as
it gives the often uninformed end user a false sense of security about
the program. I think it partly accounts for why MS software does so
well; not only are the products useful but they "appear" to be
"professionaL" with slick graphic interfaces. The visual presentation
of a piece of software seems to go a long way toward deciding its
longevity. I myself am victim to this... I still use MS Outlook rather
than other not-so-buggy free equivelent email clients because I like
the the layout and the look of its interface.

Zach Swanson
USMA '02

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-05 11:08       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-05-05 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 May 2002 21:03:03 -0700, Zach Swanson wrote:

> I was just speaking to a friend of mine about this tonight. We
> concluded that its important for an application to "look pretty", as
> it gives the often uninformed end user a false sense of security about
> the program. I think it partly accounts for why MS software does so
> well; not only are the products useful but they "appear" to be
> "professionaL" with slick graphic interfaces. The visual presentation

Yes you assume that the nice interface mirrors the nice interior of the
program. Unfortunately it is not so in many cases. I like the
tkcvs program though I don't find the interface so slick as many of the
other cvs programs. But tkcvs has more/better features and less messy to
use. Now I'm looking into the cvs scripts for vim 6.x.

tkcvs:  URL => http://www.twobarleycorns.net/tkcvs.html
others: URL => http://freshmeat.net/search?q=cvs

> of a piece of software seems to go a long way toward deciding its
> longevity. I myself am victim to this... I still use MS Outlook rather
> than other not-so-buggy free equivelent email clients because I like
> the the layout and the look of its interface.

case OS is
   when Linux =>
      Try.Evolution
         (URL => "http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/");
   when Windows =>
      Try.Eudora;
         (URL => "http://www.eudora.com/");
   when others =>
      null;
end case;

;-)

Preben

* Re: GPS
@ 2002-05-05 13:01               ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<ab1s3d$s34$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...
> On Sat, 04 May 2002 06:33:43 -0600, Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > But if GPS is released I think it would be nice if the word was spread
> > in the Gnome and KDE community and on Linux today etc...
>
> It has already been mentioned on Slashdot, though in the "developers"
> section rather than in the 'articles" section, so it hasn't attreacted
> a lot of attention.

Which is appropriate at this stage in the game. Don't worry
there will be plenty of publicity as time goes on :-)

The STC conference was the first announcement of our road
map, and we announced fourth quarter availability, so we
still have a busy summer of testing etc.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: [OT] Email clients (was: GPS)
@ 2002-05-06 13:51         ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-05-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-05-05 at 21:03 Zach Swanson wrote:

> longevity. I myself am victim to this... I still use MS Outlook rather
> than other not-so-buggy free equivelent email clients because I like
> the the layout and the look of its interface.

You may look at Calypso, which is now free. The drawback is, that
it is no longer developped. You will find more information at:
http://calypso-free.cjb.net/

Mike