From: Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Style Guide reference - subprogram/variable name lengths
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:41:43 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2002-01-21T22:41:43+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:27:31 -0000, martin.m.dowie wrote:
> My original question was - the Ada Quality and Style Guide
> references Schneiderman's "The Territory, Paths and Destinations"
> and in particular cites it for not using 'too long' identifiers. But
> having trawled google et al I can't find this paper on any internet
> site. Can anyone give a brief explanation of what the paper says
> and what the maximum length he determined should be?

(Try yahoo first it uses google if it cannot find anything interesting.)

From the authors home page:

   86-02
   Shneiderman, B. (Feb. 1986)
   Empirical studies of programmers: the territory, paths, and
   destinations,
   keynote address for workshop, Empirical Studies of Programmers, E.
   Soloway & R. Iyengar, Eds., Ablex (June 1986) 1-12.
   CS-TR-1623 , CAR-TR-187 [Abstract]

   Abstract Information:

       * This paper attempts to describe the varied intellectual
       territory that programmers work in. It offers several paths for
       researchers who wish to explore this territory: controlled
       experiments, observational or field studies, surveys, and
       cognitive theories.  Finally, this paper suggests several
       important destinations for researchers: refining the use of
       current languages, imporving present and future languages,
       developing special purpose languages, and improving tools and
       methods.

Unless somebody has this article at hand, I think you have to go visit
your nearest university (or other) library.  Usually articles available
on-line does not date so far back, besides you need a library to access
these sites.

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}