From: Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Ada program needs to ping another machine.
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:00:03 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2002-01-16T22:00:03+00:00	[thread overview]

On 16 Jan 2002 15:55:56 -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Get the C source for ping from the Linux distribution, and either
> pragma Import some of it, or translate it all to Ada.

Yes I can do that, though I would perfer not to have anything in C (I
don't have a C compiler for windows among other things). But if it is
difficult then i could also just have a deamon running and try to
connect to the deamon on the other machine. Would need to do that
anyway.

>> Eventually it would be nice to evolve the program into a talk
>> program (a program where one write simultaneously on a split screen)
>> as the wintalk program is rather unstable and I would hope Ada could
>> increase security.
>
> There are other talk programs out there; I doubt an Ada one would add
> much. It would, of course, be fun to do :).

Buffer overflow should hopefully be fixed.

But which other programs? I'm not talking about the chat programs where
you send one line and then have to wait for the other to answer. What
I'm talking about is that the users can simoultaneously write and you
see every keystroke as they are typed on the other side. Other featured
that would be nice is adding ssl and using Pango when GtkAda 2.0 is out.

http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95/talk.png shows how talk works on Linux
now running talk in a terminal. The first window is what user 1 on
machine 1 sees, the second is user 2 on machine 2. When you type you
will see what the other types as she/he types.

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}