From: "Gisle Sælensminde" <gisle@apal.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Re: Smalltalk and Ada
Date: 10 Dec 2001 21:15:55 GMT
Date: 2001-12-10T21:15:55+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9v2r12$nle$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Gisle S?lensminde <gisle@apal.ii.uib.no> wrote:
>
>: Simula was definitly the first OO language, and was developed about 1965.
>
> http://www.ifi.uio.no/~kristen/FORSKNINGSDOK_MAPPE/F_OO_start.html
>
>: Then it became too difficult
>: to port the simula compiler to new architectures. As far as I know, the Simula
>: langage is dead by now.
>
> Hmmm,
> http://www.stator.um.edu.mt/simula/cim.html
> http://staff.um.edu.mt/jskl1/asu/index.html
>
> Georg

We used the Lund University simula compiler, and the maintainers of
it did not want to maintain it anymore, and the 'cim' compiler was not
compatible with some the code developed at the university of Bergen
(and Oslo). It was also used as an excuse for 'upgrading' to a more
modern and fashionable programing language.

As far as I know, It's not used as a first language anymore at any
university, and I don't know about any code written in Simula still in
production. I would like to be proved wrong here. I could not find any
information about that on the web pages above.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)