From: "Gisle Sælensminde" <gisle@apal.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Re: Smalltalk and Ada
Date: 10 Dec 2001 14:15:05 GMT
Date: 2001-12-10T14:15:05+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9v18tj$c5rhj$1@ID-25716.news.dfncis.de>, Nick Roberts wrote:
> "Wes Groleau" <wwgrol@sparc01.ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Nick Roberts wrote:
>> > Smalltalk is all-pervasively object-oriented (it was the language that
>> > invented the concept). Ada 95 provides object-oriented programming
>>
>> I know little about Simula or Smalltalk, but I believe the former
>> was around in 1967.  Wasn't the latter 1980?
>
> Indeed I merely repeat others' misinformation (it's a human disease), and
> stand to be corrected :-/

Simula was definitly the first OO language, and was developed about 1965.
The simula developers did not use the term "Object oriented" though.
I think (but is sure) that the Smalltalk developers did that. Smalltalk
was developed in the seventies and the current version was finished in
1980.

BTW, Simula was my first programing language. The University of Bergen, Norway
used it as the first programing language until 96. Then it became too difficult
to port the simula compiler to new architectures. As far as I know, the Simula
langage is dead by now. After Simula, java took over the role as a first
programming language.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)