* Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 1997-02-24  0:00 Mike Willour
From: Mike Willour @ 1997-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've studied  ADA for 3 semesters in school and would like to get an
inexpensive compiler so I can use the language for some real
programming projects.  I'd like to get a package that will work for
either DOS or Windows 95 platforms for $100 or less.  I am still a
student, so this might be a package with a student discount.  Thanks
in advance for any suggestions.

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 1997-02-24  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5esrqo$6ul@news0-alterdial.uu.net>, willour@ssi.parlorcity.com (Mike Willour) writes:

> I've studied  ADA for 3 semesters in school and would like to get an
> inexpensive compiler so I can use the language for some real
> programming projects.  I'd like to get a package that will work for
> either DOS or Windows 95 platforms for $100 or less.  I am still a
> student, so this might be a package with a student discount.  Thanks
> in advance for any suggestions.

http://www.adahome.com has a whole category for inexpensive compilers.
There are opportunities in the form of student discounts, compilers
for which you get a limited version if you buy a book, and one compiler
which is free.

To date, "free" is the absolute cheapest one can get.  Nobody has yet
offered to pay you to take their compiler.

Larry Kilgallen

* Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21  0:36 William Forbes
From: William Forbes @ 2001-10-21  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my continual search for an inexpensive Ada compiler, I have found RR
Software's
Janus /95 system with the IDE called Claw.  Any big negatives to this
set of products?

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21  3:42 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-21  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Forbes <wforbes@third-wave.com> wrote in message news:<3BD21896.B893A11@third-wave.com>...
> In my continual search for an inexpensive Ada compiler, I have found RR
> Software's
> Janus /95 system with the IDE called Claw.  Any big negatives to this
> set of products?

It is not full Ada 95, but if it does the job for you and
the price is right, by all means use it. There are certainly other
possibilities. Aonix has a student version
of their Windows compiler available for free download, and
of course there is GNAT, which is in fact the only existing
complete implementation of Ada 95 (including all the annexes) and you
can also download copies of this compiler
(and full sources, it is Free Software, part of the GNU
system) from various sites.

Consult www.adapower.com for all sorts of useful info
on this and other topics.

P.S. I was under the impression that CLAW was a thick binding to
windows services, rather than an IDE, but I
may be incorrect and just not be aware of latest developments. GNAT
comes with several IDE possibilities,
including AdaGIDE from Martin Carlisle which is particularly suitable
for student use.

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21  4:51   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-10-21  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <5ee5b646.0110201942.b456843@posting.google.com> dewar@gnat.com
(Robert Dewar) said:

> P.S. I was under the impression that CLAW was a thick binding to
> windows services, rather than an IDE, but I
> may be incorrect and just not be aware of latest developments. GNAT
> comes with several IDE possibilities,
  I wouldn't call Claw an IDE either.  It has a GUI builder, and it
is in a sense an environment for development, but "IDE" usually means
a program that runs an editor/compiler/debugger as subtasks.
  Claw is not tied to a single compiler vendor, BTW.  It works with
Aonix and Gnat and Rational as well as with Janus.

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21 12:56 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:36:38 -0700, William Forbes wrote:
> In my continual search for an inexpensive Ada compiler, I have found RR
> Software's
> Janus /95 system with the IDE called Claw.  Any big negatives to this
> set of products?

Why not GNAT?

Preben Randhol

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21 12:59   ` Israel R T
From: Israel R T @ 2001-10-21 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:56:11 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
<randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:36:38 -0700, William Forbes wrote:
>> In my continual search for an inexpensive Ada compiler, I have found RR
>> Software's
>> Janus /95 system with the IDE called Claw.  Any big negatives to this
>> set of products?
>
>Why not GNAT?
>
>Preben Randhol

If you need support it is definitely not inexpensive...

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21 13:06     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-21 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:59:41 +1000, Israel R T wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:56:11 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
><randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
>
> If you need support it is definitely not inexpensive...

OK, but you didn't say you needed support :-)

Preben

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-21 22:50     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Israel R T <israelrt@optushome.com.au> wrote in message news:<8lh5tt0547ckak8k9u1eb89ecgk4ad0oqh@4ax.com>...
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:56:11 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
> <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
> >Why not GNAT?
> >
> >Preben Randhol
>
> If you need support it is definitely not inexpensive...

Read the thread, this is a student who is asking the question, and
most certainly the public version of GNAT is
suitable for student use, and he should be able to get the
informal help needed from the community. Indeed, the primary purpose
of the public versions of GNAT is to support this kind of student use!

* Re: Inexpensive Ada Compiler
@ 2001-10-22 17:29       ` Richard Pinkall-Pollei
From: Richard Pinkall-Pollei @ 2001-10-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> >Why not GNAT?
>>
>> If you need support it is definitely not inexpensive...
>
>Read the thread, this is a student who is asking the question, and
>most certainly the public version of GNAT is
>suitable for student use, and he should be able to get the
>informal help needed from the community. Indeed, the primary purpose
>of the public versions of GNAT is to support this kind of student
>use!

Add to that the fact that the public versions are only released after
they have been in use for some time by ACT customers.  It doesn't mean
they're bug free, but they've been very stable for me.

--
I tried sniffing Coke, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.