* ada os newsgroup
@ 2001-09-11  8:30 Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2001-09-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how to actually start a newsgroup, I was thinking it might be  good idea to create an ada os newsgroup to document ideas people have and interesting.

It may also keep the comp.lang.ada surviving as an os group that deals with language and not the long term discussion about potentially promising but still emphemoral os. And perhaps support both. We could even have a vote!

* Re: ada os newsgroup
@ 2001-09-11 14:56 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-09-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article news:20010911092548.6a773b75.tonygair@nospam.blueyonder.co.uk
Tony Gair asked about setting up an Ada OS newsgroup.

Usual guidelines for a new group go as follows...

Kicked off with an RFD (REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION) a discussion period
is entered which is to last thirty days on net news. If the discussion has
to go on for longer it is to be continued off net news. Before these
thirty days are up, discussion posts must be sent to
news:news.announce.newgroups (if NNTP to this group does not work for
particular people they may email newgroups@isc.org ) and it is allowed for
these posts to be sent to other news groups simultaneously. The mandatory
newsgroup is moderated (therefore posts may take some time to appear) and
one should not post the same message to news:news.announce.newgroups and
e.g. news:comp.lang.ada as separate posts ... they are to be crossposted
simultaneously which would delay appearance on the unmoderated groups too.

After discussion if the proposal is still going ahead there would be a
Call For Votes (CFV). Voting should take 21-31 days. Voting is only via
email.

So the process will take at least about two months.

See "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" from
news:news.announce.newgroups etc.
(e.g. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1012195284d&hl=en&rnum=84&selm=nan.962619304.25162%40isc.org
)
and "Usenet Newsgroup Creation Companion" from news:news.answers etc.
(e.g. http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&rnum=2&selm=6cv4qi%24cf3%241%40news.ncal.verio.com
)
and so on.

A fairly recent botched RFD is "RFD comp.os.ose" (see criticisms from
people who would not have used the group anyway at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=82eaa443.0106071629.5239414e%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dproposed%2Bnewsgroup%2Bgroup:comp.realtime%26hl%3Den%26as_qdr%3Dy%26rnum%3D1%26selm%3D82eaa443.0106071629.5239414e%2540posting.google.com
) and a fairly recent RFD which actually yielded discussion is
"RFD: comp.software.patterns" which is archived at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=9lba0p%24jv1%241%40panix2.panix.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fas_oq%3Dcomp%26as_ugroup%3Dnews.groups%26as_usubject%3DRFD%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3Dm
and has been followed by a CFV: "CFV: comp.software.patterns" at
news:1000139646.12349@isc.org and
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=news.groups&selm=1000139646.12349%40isc.org

* Re: ada os newsgroup
@ 2001-09-12 10:34   ` Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2001-09-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone understand this,

@ 2001-09-12 12:01       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-09-12 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1000294392.8952.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, M. A. Alves
says...

>On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Tony Gair wrote:
>
>> Does anyone understand this, [below]
>
>They want to create a separate newsgroup for the Ada OS discussion. It
>seems a lot of trouble and 2 months. Not worth the trouble.

The typical process is to create an email list. When that gets large and regular
for months, then think about a newsgroup.

---

* Re: ada os newsgroup
@ 2001-09-12 12:31     ` M. A. Alves
From: M. A. Alves @ 2001-09-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Tony Gair wrote:

> Does anyone understand this, [below]

They want to create a separate newsgroup for the Ada OS discussion. It
seems a lot of trouble and 2 months. Not worth the trouble.

> > In article news:20010911092548.6a773b75.tonygair@nospam.blueyonder.co.uk
> > Tsony Gair asked about setting up an Ada OS newsgroup.
> >
> > Usual guidelines for a new group go as follows...
> >
> > Kicked off with an RFD (REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION) a discussion period
> > is entered which is to last thirty days on net news. If the discussion has
> > to go on for longer it is to be continued off net news. Before these
> > thirty days are up, discussion posts must be sent to
> > news:news.announce.newgroups (if NNTP to this group does not work for
> > particular people they may email newgroups@isc.org ) and it is allowed for
> > these posts to be sent to other news groups simultaneously. The mandatory
> > newsgroup is moderated (therefore posts may take some time to appear) and
> > one should not post the same message to news:news.announce.newgroups and
> > e.g. news:comp.lang.ada as separate posts ... they are to be crossposted
> > simultaneously which would delay appearance on the unmoderated groups too.
> >
> > After discussion if the proposal is still going ahead there would be a
> > Call For Votes (CFV). Voting should take 21-31 days. Voting is only via
> > email.
> >
> > So the process will take at least about two months.
> >
> > See "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" from
> > news:news.announce.newgroups etc.
> > (e.g. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1012195284d&hl=en&rnum=84&selm=nan.962619304.25162%40isc.org
> > )
> > and "Usenet Newsgroup Creation Companion" from news:news.answers etc.
> > (e.g. http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&rnum=2&selm=6cv4qi%24cf3%241%40news.ncal.verio.com
> > )
> > and so on.
> >
> > A fairly recent botched RFD is "RFD comp.os.ose" (see criticisms from
> > people who would not have used the group anyway at
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=82eaa443.0106071629.5239414e%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dproposed%2Bnewsgroup%2Bgroup:comp.realtime%26hl%3Den%26as_qdr%3Dy%26rnum%3D1%26selm%3D82eaa443.0106071629.5239414e%2540posting.google.com
> > ) and a fairly recent RFD which actually yielded discussion is
> > "RFD: comp.software.patterns" which is archived at
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=9lba0p%24jv1%241%40panix2.panix.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fas_oq%3Dcomp%26as_ugroup%3Dnews.groups%26as_usubject%3DRFD%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3Dm
> > and has been followed by a CFV: "CFV: comp.software.patterns" at
> > news:1000139646.12349@isc.org and
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=news.groups&selm=1000139646.12349%40isc.org

   ,
 M A R I O   data miner, LIACC, room 221   tel 351+226078830, ext 121
 A M A D O   Rua Campo Alegre, 823         fax 351+226003654
 A L V E S   P-4150 PORTO, Portugal        mob 351+939354002