From: Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org (Colin Paul Gloster)
Subject: European train deaths
Date: 27 Apr 2001 13:45:27 GMT
Date: 2001-04-27T13:45:27+00:00	[thread overview]

Something which occured to me only yesterday (unless I cleanly
forgot before) is that Ada and formal methods are used for
European train systems and so these may be involved in some
of the spate of fatal crashes over the last circa two years
in the U.K.; Norway; and elsewhere in the E.U.. At least one
in the U.K. had to do with a light signalling error if
memory serves correctly but I do not recall if this had
anything to do with software. It may be worthwhile to investigate this --
would any of ye happen to remember if computers were involved in these
locomotive incidents?

Thank you,
Colin Paul Gloster

P.S. I apologise in advance for not promptly replying to any forthcoming