From: haering@sunhalle3.informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Gerhard Haering)
Subject: Re: Suitability for small Windows projects
Date: 2000/09/26
Date: 2000-09-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8qr809$cjj@newshost.fujitsu.com.au>, Ray Smith wrote:
>Hi There,
>
>I have been looking into Ada for hobby programming.
>(I am a professional Cobol / Visual Basic programmer with small amounts of
>experience in about a dozen of other languages)
>
>I have read the FAQ, browsed www.adahome.com but still had a couple of
>questions I hope someone can answer.
>
>1.  Can Ada (Assume gnat) produce standalone Windows executables?  If so,
>how big are they compared to equivalent C executables? If no, how many files
>would need to be distributed to run the application?

GNAT can of course produce standalone Windows EXEs. These are statically
linked to the GNAT runtime and thus relatively large. If you ask me, I
also stumbled across the 100 KB Hello World compiled by GNAT. I used to
care about executable size, I do no more. Hardisk space is ridiculously
cheap and if you deliver software, you burn it on CD anyways.

>2.  Are there "good" libraries available for GUI, Winsockets and database
>connectivity?

There are libraries for all of these, but I haven't tried many of them
myself. You might want to check out http://www.adapower.com It's an
excellent place for Ada programmers. For GUI, there are several Windows
GUI packages. There is a binding to GLADE, a GTK+ cross platform GUI
builder. There is a binding to Winsock. ODBC, MySQL and Postgres database
bindings do also exist, but they seem to be much lower level than, say ADO
in Visual Basic.

>3.  Are there any DirectX or libraries available for making games? (I have
>read the history of Ada and understand the goals but that doesn't mean Ada
>can't be used for fun!!!)

The nearest thing I recall is an Ada game package for Linux framebuffer
and X ;-)

Gerhard Haering