From: randhol+abuse@pvv.org (Preben Randhol)
Subject: Re: GNAT bug or expectations problem with Text_Io.Text_Streams
Date: 2000/09/24
Date: 2000-09-24T13:02:51+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:40:31 GMT, David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:
>That said, the observed behavior seems to me to violate RM A 12.2 (34),
>viz.:
>"The ability to obtain a stream for a text file allows Current_Input,
>Current_Output, and Current_Error to be processed with the functionality
>of streams, including the mixing of text and binary input-output, and the
>mixing of binary input-output for different types."

After looking in the Gnat 3.13p source code I found this:

a-textio.adb:

      --  This is the primitive Stream Write routine, used when a
      --  Text_IO file is treated directly as a stream using
      --  Text_IO.Streams.Stream.

         procedure Write
         [...]

      --  Now we do the write. Since this is a text file, it is normally in
      --  text mode, but stream data must be written in binary mode, so we
      --  temporarily set binary mode for the write, resetting it after.
      --  These calls have no effect in a system (like Unix) where there is
      --  no distinction between text and binary files.

      set_binary_mode (fileno (File.Stream));

i-cstrea.ads:   procedure set_binary_mode (handle : int);
i-cstrea.ads:   pragma Import (C, set_binary_mode, "set_binary_mode");

--
Preben Randhol - Ph.D student - http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/
"i too once thought that when proved wrong that i lost somehow"