From: gisle@struts.ii.uib.no (Gisle Sælensminde)
Subject: Re: Static linking of GNAT library
Date: 2000/08/25
Date: 2000-08-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Paul Colvert wrote:

>My assigned SG engineer wrote back to tell me that "if there is C code
>mixed in, then statically linking the files is impossible as of IRIX
>6.5." Yes, we do have some C code linked in to our simulation. Does
>that mean I will be forced to distribute the shared object library?
>Some of our customers have the old Ada 95 1.3 compiler installed. I
>don't think I can have both libraries installed!
>
>I was (and still am) hoping that someone in the Ada community can help
>me with this issue.
>
>Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

The shared libraries for the two version have different version
number and thus different names, so to distribute the shared
library and install it at the customers site should be
straigtforward. Just install it at the same location as
on your own site. It's not necesary to install the entire
compiler.

And since the GNAT runtime have a modified GNU licence, you can
distibute the runtime library freely.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)