From: randhol+abuse@pvv.org (Preben Randhol)
Subject: Re: Suggestions to a Newbie
Date: 2000/08/17
Date: 2000-08-17T17:48:22+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:15:13 +0300, Cagdas Ozgenc wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am interested in learning Ada 95. Could you please recommend:
>
>1) A starter's book for a programmer with solid experience in programming
>with many other languages. Basically I do not want a book that teaches what
>recursion is etc. Also it would be better if it directly gets into practical
>applications with OO paradigm, without talking about what OO is.

Programming in Ada 95  2. Ed by Barnes (you'll find info on it at
http://www.adapower.com)

But as you wait for the book you choose, you can quickly read
through:

   http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/ada/aln.html

>How would you compare its performance to C++? (without biasing it with your
>love for Ada)

Well as the Ada programs will crash less than your C++ programs, I'd
say it's better :-) Seriously performance is the same.

One thing you will notice you will spend some time in the beginning
disciplining yourself when you write the code. That is the compiler (or
rather the language) is far stricter so a lot of your bugs will be
caught at compile time. This is good as it will save considerable time
otherwise spent on debugging.

Enjoy!

--
Preben Randhol - Ph. D student - http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov