* Re: Loops
@ 2000-05-27  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2000-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karlene <kejohnso@student.ecu.edu.au> wrote in message
news:8gntbt$mei$3@news.cowan.edu.au...
> If the exit condition for the loop of a subprogram is the word "stop" when
> written in a string field (ie a persons name), how can you code that?

Look at the Ada Reference Manual, section 5.7

* Re: Loops
@ 2000-05-27  0:00   ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:

>Karlene <kejohnso@student.ecu.edu.au> wrote in message
>> If the exit condition for the loop of a subprogram is the word "stop" when
>> written in a string field (ie a persons name), how can you code that?
>>
>Look at the Ada Reference Manual, section 5.7

This reply could have been helpful for a more experienced Ada
programmer, but this was obviously a beginer, both in Ada and
programming. This is not the way of replying to a beginner.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Re: Loops
@ 2000-05-27  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn8ivjsi.ooc.gisle@krake.ii.uib.no>,
  gisle@krake.ii.uib.no (Gisle S�lensminde) wrote:
> This reply could have been helpful for a more experienced Ada
> programmer, but this was obviously a beginer, both in Ada and
> programming. This is not the way of replying to a beginner.

In general that's a fair observation. However, here we have
a student who clearly is not doing their part of the work,
and is simply posting lots of elementary messages here in
an effort to get us to do their homework, and not putting
in a reasonable amount of work reading the documents.

Note that today, half the active threads in CLA come from
this one student, all asking about various elementary aspects
of what I would guess is a single assignment.

So under the circumstnaces, I find David's reply reasonable
(see my more direct reply earlier in one of the threads).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gp79k$c95$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar wrote:
>In article <slrn8ivjsi.ooc.gisle@krake.ii.uib.no>,
>  gisle@krake.ii.uib.no (Gisle S�lensminde) wrote:
>> This reply could have been helpful for a more experienced Ada
>> programmer, but this was obviously a beginer, both in Ada and
>> programming. This is not the way of replying to a beginner.
>
>In general that's a fair observation. However, here we have
>a student who clearly is not doing their part of the work,
>and is simply posting lots of elementary messages here in
>an effort to get us to do their homework, and not putting
>in a reasonable amount of work reading the documents.
>
>Note that today, half the active threads in CLA come from
>this one student, all asking about various elementary aspects
>of what I would guess is a single assignment.
>
>So under the circumstnaces, I find David's reply reasonable
>(see my more direct reply earlier in one of the threads).

It was surely right to tell her to do her own homework, but
there are both pleasant and unpleasant ways of telling them to
do so. I prefer the former.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Loops
@ 2000-05-27  0:00 Karlene

From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gntbt$mei$3@news.cowan.edu.au>,
  "Karlene" <kejohnso@student.ecu.edu.au> wrote:
> If the exit condition for the loop of a subprogram is the word
"stop" when
> written in a string field (ie a persons name), how can you
code that?

Simply test to see if the string contains the characters
"stop". If you don't know how to do this, you need to start
with the basics, and study either your text book, or go
through one of the online tutorials.