From: gisle@gribb.ii.uib.no (Gisle S�lensminde)
Subject: Re: BLAS
Date: 2000/05/15
Date: 2000-05-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <OQwhWZf0R1IR@eisner.decus.org>, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>In article <391F18DF.C4699276@maths.unine.ch>, Gautier <gautier.demontmollin@maths.unine.ch> writes:
>> Larry Kilgallen:
>
>>> I realize that performance is one aspect of "quality",
>>> but I think the more important one is "correctness".
>>
>> Do I understand well ?! You seem to oppose quality and correctness.
>> As a DEC Ada user, you have the example of a product where
>> quality and correctness meet rather well, don't they ?...
>
>I view performance and correctness as being two aspects of
>quality, and while the degree to which they are both present
>in any compiler may be due to the same efforts, it is not at
>all guaranteed.  However well DEC Ada performs on Alpha is
>due at least partially to peephole optimization on the GEM
>common back end, which was done by an entirely different
>group of people than those who did the Ada 83 parsing.

Performance is generally useless if the program is incorrectly
implemented. If a program generates an incorrect answer, it could
just as well have printed out say 42 every time. That can be done
in no time. Of cause there is grades between correct and incorrect,
but generally optimization is somthing you should do _after_ you
have correctly implemented the feature.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies