* Re: Application in Ada
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@bix.com wrote:

> In article <8eq6gq$vvb$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>
> > But since everyone seems to love to come up with these suggestions, I
> > will mention that one of the ideas I had was for a meta-project which
> > would list good project ideas that could be persued. The focus would be
> > on filling empty software niches with Ada-written OpenSource software.
>
>   1) e-mail programs with an insurance industry certificate of approval\x7f
> that they don't allow bad things.

Ug! Lawyers and Insurance Companies.

*You* can write that one, Tom.   :-)

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591

* Re: Application in Ada
@ 2000-05-09  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> >  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> >
> >> But since everyone seems to love to come up with these suggestions, I
> >> will mention that one of the ideas I had was for a meta-project which
> >> would list good project ideas that could be persued. The focus would be
> >> on filling empty software niches with Ada-written OpenSource software.
> Or an e-mail filter program that is easy to set up and can be trusted
> not to delete your mail. I use procmail at the moment, but procmail
> isn't very easy for a lot of people. Haveing a powerful filter that
> could remove SPAM mail and possibly viruses would have been just great.

For that purpose, Netscape's filters work just fine for me. I have them throw
suspected junk in a "Junk" folder, which I can look through at my leisure.
Spam's actually kinda fun, when it isn't cluttering up your inbox. :-)
Anything with an unexpected attachment type gets tossed in there too, which
would take care of email viruses.

Procmail is a little more powerful, but that power comes at a rather steep
price. The only thing I've ever missed it for is the ability to redirect a
selected portion of my email to a different address when I'm out of town (and
thus my email reader/internet connection may not be up).

However, if a good free software web browser ever does get built, I suppose a
free software email/newsgroup tool would be needed too. Ditto with chat (this
one may be covered, though).

--

@ 2000-05-09  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 May 2000 02:35:17 GMT, tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>In article <8eq6gq$vvb$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>
>> But since everyone seems to love to come up with these suggestions, I
>> will mention that one of the ideas I had was for a meta-project which
>> would list good project ideas that could be persued. The focus would be
>> on filling empty software niches with Ada-written OpenSource software.
>
>  1) e-mail programs with an insurance industry certificate of approval\x7f
>that they don't allow bad things.

Or an e-mail filter program that is easy to set up and can be trusted
not to delete your mail. I use procmail at the moment, but procmail
isn't very easy for a lot of people. Haveing a powerful filter that
could remove SPAM mail and possibly viruses would have been just great.

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- <http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/>
         "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."