From: gisle@apal.ii.uib.no (Gisle S�lensminde)
Subject: Re: Parallel
Date: 2000/04/07
Date: 2000-04-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <K77H4.419$Qy3.109931@news.pacbell.net>, tmoran@bix.com wrote:

>What kind of "parallel programming" is wanted?  Massively parallel
>with thousands of CPUs?  Fine grained SIMD parallel?  Multitasking
>on a single or a few CPUs (that could use Ada's tasking constructs)?

Multitasking do not neccesarily limit itself to a few processors.
At my university we have an 128-processor SGI/Cray origin machine
that can use multithreading for parallization, and there are
computers working that way with at least 2048 processors.
I have not personally tested with more than 4 processors, though.

But you are right, there are several ways to do parallel programming.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies