* Checking file permissions
@ 2000-03-10  0:00 Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-03-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to check if a file is read and/or writable before trying
to open it? I have found a check that checks if a file is a regular
file (in GNAT), but I cannot find in the RM any function that (I understood) can
be used to check if a file is readable.

System:   Linux 2.2.x
Compiler: Gnat 3.12p
Language: Ada95

Any hints much appreciated.

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- [http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/]
         "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."

* Re: Checking file permissions
@ 2000-03-11  0:00 ` Vadim Godunko
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Is it possible to check if a file is read and/or writable before trying
> to open it? I have found a check that checks if a file is a regular
> file (in GNAT), but I cannot find in the RM any function that (I understood) can
> be used to check if a file is readable.
>
> System:   Linux 2.2.x
> Compiler: Gnat 3.12p
> Language: Ada95
>
> Any hints much appreciated.
>
> --
> Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- [http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/]
>          "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."
>                                                       -- Athol Fugard

For check file attributes (read, write, executable) you may use Ada-POSIX bindings,

for example Florist (ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/florist).