From: aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk (Aidan Skinner)
Subject: Re: How To Write Unmaintainable Code
Date: 1999/11/24
Date: 1999-11-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:25:32 GMT, Kent Paul Dolan <xanthian@well.com> wrote:

>Ah, yes, the old "invincible ignorance" ploy.  The article might

I think you will find that I'm both ignorant *and* invincible TYVM. ;)

>complete gnat compiler constructed entirely out of SGML tags, but if it
>offends the eye, out with it, blaming the messenger without first
>reading the message.

It's not so much that it offends the eye, as offends sensibilities of
cross-platform compatability and minimization of network usage. HTML
formatted posts on their own add ~25% to the size of a message, > 50%
if you include unformatted plaintext. That's just a waste.

>Where do they _teach_ this attitude, Robert?  I want to make sure none
>of my children accidentally enroll in whatever place that is.

news.answers.new-users.

Once upon a time people actually read it. :(

>invested the time to gain a perfect grasp of Usenet technology before
>learning whatever useful information they had to convey.

It doesn't require a perfect grasp of usenet technology, just a basic
grasp of what used to be called manners and is now called netiqutte.

- Aidan
--
"I say we just bury him and eat dessert"
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/