* The future of Ada
@ 1999-03-10  0:00 Gordon Dodrill
From: Gordon Dodrill @ 1999-03-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A few weeks ago someone in this newsgroup mentioned that
Ada is a $100M industry.  If this number is reasonable,
then assuming a loaded salary of $120K per year, there are
only about 830 full time Ada developers.

I attended the JavaOne conference in the spring of 1998
which had over 15,000 in attendance.  I also attended the
SigAda conference in St Louis in the Fall of 1997, which
had less than 400 in attendance.  I understand that the
Software Development conference (West), which is heavily
oriented toward C++, is still attracting about 6,000
attendees

I am completely sold on Ada concerning its type safety and
its economy of use.  In fact, I am the local Ada evangelist
and successfully convinced a group of 18 developers to use
Ada on a new project.  This involved teaching a beginning
class in Ada myself, then having Ben Brosgol teach an
advanced Ada class at our location last May.

Ten months into the project, the project leader announced
very abruptly that Ada would be scrapped, C++ would be used,
and there would be a six month slip in the project to permit
training in C++ and rewriting the  completed Ada code.  His
reason - "There may not be any Ada programmers to do
maintenance several years from now, but we will always be
able to get C++ programmers."

I am obviously frustrated.  How can I continue to promote
the use of Ada when the numbers mentioned in the first two
paragraphs above indicate a lack of growth in Ada compared
to the other languages?  Any thoughts, either positive or
negative, will be appreciated.

Gordon Dodrill
Sandia National Laboratories - Albuquerque, New Mexico

* Re: The Future of Ada
@ 1990-08-15 18:49 Edward V. Berard
From: Edward V. Berard @ 1990-08-15 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1990Aug15.151935.8848@sctc.com>, endrizzi@sctc.com (Michael Endrizzi ) writes:

> This is why the survival of Ada is at stake:
>
> 	1)Control
> 	2)Cost
> 	3)Complexity
>
> 1)Control: Programmers and our associated egos like to be in control
> of our destinys. On paper, Ada is a powerful tool that automates
> many of the manual checks (recompilation, type checking) that
> other languages lack. By using this tool, we give up control.

This is an interesting observation. While I will admit that there
may be some things which are easier to accomplish in C (and, of
course, many things which are easier to accomplish in Ada), Ada
provides you with all the control that C offers you -- and, very
probably, much more. Just as an inexperienced C programmer might
believe that some things are impossible -- or incredibly difficult
-- in C, so would an inexperienced Ada programmmer think that
some things were "impossible" in Ada.

> And when that tool
> doesn't work right, it's like being in a speeding car with
> not steering wheel driving in the mountains.

I very much agree.

> C/Unix on the other hand is a hackers tool. If this don't
> work right...well we all know how easy it is to flip a
> few bits here and there to make it work.

As someone who uses both C and Ada, and knows quite a few
"C hackers," I think you are indulging in fantasy. I have
seen plenty of C programs which destroyed not only themselves,
but also their surrounding environment because the programmer
"flipped a few bits here and there." Incompetence is
programming language independent.

> 2)Cost: Quality Ada environments are expensive and resource hogs.
> You can't just sit at home and hack into the night on your
> Mac/PC. You must have your $100,000 Rational with 200 Gigs
> of storage parked in your basement to get a true Ada high.
> I know on our system, I must balance elegance with "will
> the damn thing even compile, fit on our disks, crowd out
> other users, etc".

Years ago I wrote an article about the problems with
validated Ada compilers. The average quality at the time (5 years
ago) was not all that great, but there were still some superstars.
Today, with over 50 vendors particpating, the quality has
improved noticeably.

	I _am_ at home at night programming (not "hacking") on my
	Mac with Ada, and using 2 different validated Ada compilers
	for the Mac OS. I am currently attempting to write code
	which deliberately breaks the Ada compilers I am using,
	and I am having nowhere near the problems you are having.
	(I might add that I am also _not_ using the same compiler
	vendor you are using.)

> C/Unix on the other hand is basically free. GCC is probably
> one of the highest quality C products and it is free. Unix
> comes standard on some systems.  Compile times, storage
> requirements are reasonable in a multi-user environment.

Please don't get sucked into the classic apples and oranges
comparison of C and Ada systems:

	1. If the most ardent Ada hater will grant that Ada
	   provides far more capabilities than does C. (In
	   fact, they often use this as an argument against
	   Ada.)

	2. C compiler vendors do not have to (re)validate their
	   compilers. Validation does cost.

	3. The marketplace for C compilers is greater than the
	   marketplace for Ada compilers. The size of the market
	   does indeed influence the cost of the product. (You,
	   of course, know that C is almost 10 years older than
	   Ada.)

> 3)Complexity: On paper Ada is addictive, elegant,  true
> solution to multi-person life-cycle software engineering.
> In reality, I know of only 2 products that are usable:
>
> 	1) Rational
> 	2) DEC

As I said before, your experience is limited. I happen to
like both of the systems above, but others are at least
acceptable.

When I was teaching C, I used to have to assure some students
that all C compilers were not incredibly buggy, and that not
all C compilers generated huge object files. I explained to
them that there were many C compiler vendors, and that quality
varied widely. Even with a programming language which has
been around for nearly 2 decades, new vendors constantly
repeat the mistakes of the past.

> Unix was/is/will always be a disaster
> This then goes back to the cost issue.

No comment.

				-- Ed

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

* The Future of Ada
@ 1990-08-15 15:19 Michael Endrizzi
From: Michael Endrizzi  @ 1990-08-15 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I walked into my current job an Ada addict. The people I work with
are all pretty much C/Unix hacks, so I thought I had the world
at my beckon. I watched and laughed in horror as they passed
untyped pointers, randomly recompiled modules because they
"knew" which ones were out of date, used pointer arithmetic
because C bit-fields did not align properly, etc, etc.

Reality hit.

I won't mention the name of the vendor in this column, but we
purchased a moderately priced Unix Ada environment.  Word had
it that this package was "OK" but not great.  No such luck.
I am living in a nightmare of internal compiler errors and
inconsistent data base errors.

This is why the survival of Ada is at stake:

	1)Control
	2)Cost
	3)Complexity

1)Control: Programmers and our associated egos like to be in control
of our destinys. On paper, Ada is a powerful tool that automates
many of the manual checks (recompilation, type checking) that
other languages lack. By using this tool, we give up control.
Big egos don't like to give up control. And when that tool
[...]

(there might be others, but these are the ones most
talked about and I am familiar with).  Ada merges several
technologies --multi-user database, parallel processing,
software engineering, compilers, user interfaces, etc.
The only way to support the integration of these technologies
is to have a platform that allows them to talk to one another.
The platform must either be customized (Rational) or of
high quality (DEC/VMS).  Unix was/is/will always be a disaster
This then goes back to the cost issue.

Also, very few vendors are able to master these technologies.
Either they  are too small to afford it or the egos are so
damn huge in the individual fields that they can't bring the
team together to build a quality product.

I am done rambling. I learned my lesson. Ada taught me many
great concepts and but also the realities of life.

		au revoir Ada, :-(   (sniffle,sniffle)

			Dreez

               Michael J. Endrizzi
	Secure Computing Technology Corp.
	   1210 W. County Road E #100
	      Arden Hills, Mn. 55112
	        endrizzi@sctc.com
	          (612) 482-7425

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are not of my employer
             but of the American people.