* Pointers in Taskingq
@ 1998-10-21  0:00 Chang Yang Lim
From: Chang Yang Lim @ 1998-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. everyone, just wonder to know is it possible to use pointers in
Tasking? I am working with my project now before of control a several
processes concurrently, I choose to use Tasking in ada. However I have
come to the problem where in the task body, I actually call a procedure
and pass in a pointer. Some how I can't get my program work correctly.
Can anyone give me some hints of solving this?

Chang Yang
Adelaide Uni. IT&T Eng.

* Re: Pointers in Taskingq
@ 1998-10-21  0:00 ` Frank Ecke
From: Frank Ecke @ 1998-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Chang Yang Lim <cylim@teaching.cs.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi. everyone, just wonder to know is it possible to use pointers in
> Tasking? I am working with my project now before of control a several
> processes concurrently, I choose to use Tasking in ada. However I have
> come to the problem where in the task body, I actually call a procedure
> and pass in a pointer. Some how I can't get my program work correctly.
> Can anyone give me some hints of solving this?

Without context information, it is virtually impossible to give suggestions.
Please present the relevant code.

Frank

--
Frank Ecke <franke@minet.uni-jena.de>

       In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

* Re: Pointers in Taskingq
@ 1998-10-21  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <362D1CE1.A5A3764@teaching.cs.adelaide.edu.au>,
  Chang Yang Lim <cylim@teaching.cs.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi. everyone, just wonder to know is it possible to use pointers in
> Tasking? I am working with my project now before of control a several
> processes concurrently, I choose to use Tasking in ada. However I have
> come to the problem where in the task body, I actually call a procedure
> and pass in a pointer. Some how I can't get my program work correctly.
> Can anyone give me some hints of solving this?

This depends a lot on your tasking implementation, so you really need to tell
us what compiler and OS you are using. In general it should work, but there
are some tricky problems that can arise when your compiler implements tasks
as processes (eg: the Nighthawk's Ada83).

More likely you have some kind of race condition...

--
T.E.D.