From: whraven@msn.fullfeed.com (Richard Pinkall-Pollei)
Subject: Re: Missing "crtbegin.o" in GNAT 3.10
Date: 1998/05/07
Date: 1998-05-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 05 May 1998 02:58:52 +0000,
Daren Scot Wilson <darenw@pipeline.com> wrote:

>Red Hat 5 - which I regret installing, so many things don't work as well
>as the older slackware I had before.  Linux kernel is 2.0.32.

Works better than Slackware for me.  Anyway, there are a couple of
known problems with 3.10p on glibc systems (which RH 5.0 is).  One
requires a patch to one of the library modules to correct the length
of a system buffer that changed, and the other is a configuration
patch to point to a correct library.

I've had problems with previous Gnat GCC versions not being able to
compile the kernel, so I normally install Gnat in a seperate library
structure and point my environment to it when necessary.  I have
a RH5.0 compatible RPM and SRPM for gnat 3.10p, but they are quite
large, so I don't have enough room at my ISP for it.  However, if
you have access to an FTP site with enough space (6.7 and 5.5 meg
respectively) I can put it there for you.  Alternatively, I can mail
it to you as a multi-part mail message if your ISP will allow it
(I've had trouble with one university account that didn't allow
enough space).  Finally, I can mail just the patches and spec file
to build the RPM and SRPM yourself -- all you need to add is the
gnat 3.10p binary distribution and documentation files, create
the RPM and SRPM file, and install it.

Hope this helps.

| The White Raven Institute    | Business:   rpollei@crinet.com        |
| for the Terminally Curious   | Personal:   whraven@msn.fullfeed.com  |
| PGP Public Keys              | http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~whraven  |
| available by request         |                                       |