* Re: text
       [not found] <339C698E.130BA7EB@ibm.net>
@ 1997-06-10  0:00 ` Albert K. Lee
From: Albert K. Lee @ 1997-06-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Sainz

On Mon, 09 Jun 1997 22:37:34 +0200, Jorge Sainz <jsainz@ibm.net> wrote:
>I'm new with ada so i have many questions, how can i put a nmber (for
>example) in a specific position of the screen (for instance to make a
>counter), and how can i clean th screen (cls, clear...)
>Please answer me by email to the first one,
>thanks...

To output numbers, 'with' the package Ada.Integer_Text_IO.  If you
prefer, 'use' it too.  Then you'll have the normal put/get procedures
available.

Your next question is tougher.  There is nothing defined by the
language for screen manipulation.  There are, however, several ways to
accomplish such feats.

For one, you can roll your own and output ANSI color/positioning codes
using Ada.Text_IO (try looking in a good DOS reference, like
Microsoft's MS-DOS manual, under 'ANSI.SYS', or in various VT-terminal
references).  This will not *always* work, but it will work on many
terminals.

I believe the GNAT EZ2LOAD distribution for DOS comes with a screen
manipulation package (PDCurses?), with Ada bindings, though I could be
wrong about the details.

If you want to do screen stuff in UNIX, the most recent ncurses
distributions have GNAT/Ada 95 bindings.  You might want to see if
your machine is capable of compiling ncurses.

If you have further questions about Ada, check out
http://www.adahome.com, pick up a good book, and use this newsgroup.
If you want to know where to find any of these packages, just followup
in this newsgroup.

HTH, and good luck!
-Albert Lee

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-06-10  0:00 UTC | newest]