From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: ADA compilers/ difference between 83 and 95
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:24:56 GMT
Date: 2005-06-06T12:24:56+00:00	[thread overview]

I've ported a LOT of VAX/VMS (DEC) Ada 83 to Gnat Ada95 and never
encountered anything that was a problem between the two language
versions. There may be some obscure corner-case rules that trigger
incompatibilities but in practical use, I just never encountered any. I
did get some warnings about using the package ASCII and maybe that's as
close to an incompatability as I've seen.

Mostly, I had some issues where different compiler writers had different
views of what to implement. A few instances where DEC Ada handled
unconstrained types differently from Gnat Ada and, of course, some
vendor specific implementation details once in a while (like packages
that may or may not be there because they are vendor supplied) but two
observations: I don't recall anything that got past the compiler that
ended up being an issue - so the compiler is your friend here. I don't
recall anything that didn't run just fine when it finally linked. I
*have* had problems when porting between two *different* platforms -
mostly with byte-sex issues, but that has been minimal. (Ada 95 has some
features to help you out making byte-sex issues portable as well, but I
have not delved into them lately)

Porting even a large body of Ada code (if reasonably well written to be
portable - no fair throwing in compiler-specific things in every unit &
expecting zero effort) even across platforms has not been much of an
issue in my experience. I've done a few hundred thousand lines in a
couple of days & had it up and running - but it was *my* code so I was
familiar with it and I have usually had the wisdom to isolate any
compiler specifics. Even a stranger's code being moved across platforms
and to a different language standard ought to be minimal fuss.

MDC

Chris Albertson wrote:
> Sorry aout the last message hadno text. Here is is again
>

> I'm curious, will ada83 programs not compile under ada95?

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has
      been found difficult; and left untried."

         --  G. K. Chesterton