* Problem with buggy GNAT GPS
@ 2014-10-12 17:31 john
From: john @ 2014-10-12 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a distribution upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, I keep getting errors like the following in GNAT GPS in all of my projects while editing source code:

sys:1: Warning: Source ID 166522 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 167083 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 167707 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 168226 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 169619 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 170268 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 173606 was not found when attempting to remove it

and the GUI often freezes for a long time until it becomes responsive again, making it almost unusable at times. It's the GNAT Programming Studio version 5.0.0 by AdaCore in combination with FSF GNAT 4.6.

Does anybody know what this error means and how to get rid of it?

* Re: Problem with buggy GNAT GPS
@ 2014-10-12 17:50 ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2014-10-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-10-12 11:31 AM, john@peppermind.com wrote:
> After a distribution upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, I keep getting errors like the following in GNAT GPS in all of my projects while editing source code:
>
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 166522 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 167083 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 167707 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 168226 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 169619 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 170268 was not found when attempting to remove it
> sys:1: Warning: Source ID 173606 was not found when attempting to remove it
>
> and the GUI often freezes for a long time until it becomes responsive again, making it almost unusable at times. It's the GNAT Programming Studio version 5.0.0 by AdaCore in combination with FSF GNAT 4.6.
>
> Does anybody know what this error means and how to get rid of it?

I've been experiencing the same issue in Ubuntu 14.04. In addition, GPS
seems to crash most times when I switch from one editor pane to another,
which is very annoying.

The GPL GPS version doesn't have this problem.

* Re: Problem with buggy GNAT GPS
@ 2014-10-14  8:42   ` john
From: john @ 2014-10-14  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately I cannot use the Adacore version due to licensing issues.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix the GPS bug for the FSF version?

* Re: Problem with buggy GNAT GPS
@ 2014-10-14  8:51     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-14  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 01:42:38 -0700 (PDT), john@peppermind.com wrote:

> Unfortunately I cannot use the Adacore version due to licensing issues.

Would it be illegal to develop using GNAT GPL and then recompile everything
with FSF?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Problem with buggy GNAT GPS
@ 2014-10-14 10:32     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-10-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

john@peppermind.com writes:

> Unfortunately I cannot use the Adacore version due to licensing issues.
>
> Does anybody have an idea how to fix the GPS bug for the FSF version?

I looked at GPS source once; it is so large and has so many dependencies
that I stopped.

Since GPS is purely an IDE and has no binaries to form part of your
deliverable, you can run the GPL IDE with the FSF compiler.

I'm running on a Mac, with GNAT GPL in /opt/gnat-gpl-2014 and FSF in
/opt/gcc-4.9.1. My PATH is

   $ echo $PATH
   /opt/gcc-4.9.1/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/bin ....

and if I start GPS with the explicit

   $ /opt/gnat-gpl-2014/bin/gps &

it runs the gcc-4.9.1 compiler.

I expect you have GNAT GPL in /usr/local/gnat? if so, just removing
/usr/local/gnat/bin from your PATH should do the trick.

This assumes that all the GPS-supported tools you want to use are in the
FSF GCC build; so using SPARK might be a problem.