From: sarge@Rational.Com (Matthew C. Sargent)
Subject: Re: Pro*Ada
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 22:38:23 -0500
Date: 1994-10-11T22:38:23-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <36v38v$hsg@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, wlawton@aol.com (WLawton) wrote:

> In article <1994Oct5.113638.26570@relay.acadiau.ca>,
> 841613t@dragon.acadiau.ca (Don Tyzuk) writes:
>
> >Does anyone out there have any experience with Oracle's
> >Pro*Ada?  I'm not asking for tech support, just a straw
> >poll of who uses it and what their impressions are.
> >
> >Does it even really exist?  Readers at Oracle Corp.
> >are welcome to respond by e-mail or with literature.
>
> I have used it, ergo, it does exist.  Essentially, Pro*Ada is a
>[snip]
>
> 'nuf said...
>
> Wayne R. Lawton
> various affiliations, my fingers typed this, they are on their own

I have a pretty good understanding of pro*ada. It is available for most of
the Ada compilers out there. It works, but like all pre-processors, you
lose some control of what is happening in your code. For example, after
pre-processing your code will have USE statements. Your code will also now
be two files. Both of these things can cause problems with project
standards and configuration control. There are also issues with how their
dynamic sql statements are implemented (raw addresses) that may make you
shiver, but they can be avoided by not using these features if they worry
you.

There is also OCI (Oracle Callable Interface) in Ada if you want to go
with that interface.

Good Luck,

|Matthew C. Sargent               |             |                   |
|Rational Software Corporation    |          __/ \__                |
|sarge@Rational.com               |   -=======(_*_)=======-         |
|804-491-0372                     |         |       |               |
|804-425-5859 Fax                 |         O       O               |
|                                 | SuperSportster40/SuperTiger40   |
<Place standard disclaimer here>