* Ada 95 in Russian
@ 2000-02-10  0:00 Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 2000-02-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where I can get access to Ada 95
training and reference materials (textbooks, RM95,
Rationale, etc.) in Russian?

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:Stanley_R_Allen@raytheon.com

* Re: Ada 95 in Russian
@ 2000-02-11  0:00   ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 2000-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English wrote in message <38A3FC68.50429458@bton.ac.uk>...
>"Stanley R. Allen" wrote:
>> Does anyone know where I can get access to Ada 95
>> training and reference materials (textbooks, RM95,
>> Rationale, etc.) in Russian?
>
>Will Ukrainian do?
>
>There's a book by Alexander Korochkin from Kiev Poly entitled
>"Ada 95: Vvedenye v programmeerovanye" (as near as I can
>transliterate), ISBN 966-952-82-0-8, dated 1998. He might
>have a website, but I don't know offhand.

I've never seen any book about Ada 95 in Russian.
There existed several on Ada 83 that was published
about 10 years ago.
After Soviet Union had gone publishing houses are
printing only what is popular. What is not popular is not printed.
So there is a whole bunch of C++, Java, Delphi ,different Win32
programming books but no one  on Ada 95.
I've heard that there exists some book but I also have heard that
quality of translation is very bad.

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: Ada 95 in Russian
@ 2000-02-11  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 2000-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stanley R. Allen" wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get access to Ada 95
> training and reference materials (textbooks, RM95,
> Rationale, etc.) in Russian?

Will Ukrainian do?

There's a book by Alexander Korochkin from Kiev Poly entitled
"Ada 95: Vvedenye v programmeerovanye" (as near as I can
transliterate), ISBN 966-952-82-0-8, dated 1998. He might
have a website, but I don't know offhand.

HTH,

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: Ada 95 in Russian
@ 2000-02-13  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <sa81kv159gt85@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've heard that there exists some book but I also have heard
> that quality of translation is very bad.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir Olensky

Sometimes I think we should apply the rules of evidence to
CLA and not allow hearsay :-) :-)

Vladimir, what is the point of smearing the complete set of
possibly existing books on Ada 95 in Russian when you have
not even seen them, and are not sure they even exist!

Now if anyone finds such a book, they will say to themselves
"oh, but some expert [who knows who is and who is not one]
on CLA says that this is a junk book". Furthermore, if anyone
considers writing such a book, they have been smeared in
advance.

How about we hear from someone with first hand knowledge here
:-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada 95 in Russian
@ 2000-02-14  0:00       ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 2000-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message <886fmb$qj2$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <sa81kv159gt85@corp.supernews.com>,
>  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I've heard that there exists some book but I also have heard
>> that quality of translation is very bad.

>Sometimes I think we should apply the rules of evidence to
>CLA and not allow hearsay :-) :-)
>
>Vladimir, what is the point of smearing the complete set of
>possibly existing books on Ada 95 in Russian when you have
>not even seen them, and are not sure they even exist!

At least in Moscow  at any place where one can buy technical
and programming books question  - " Do you have  (or know)
something on Ada" raise reply question  -"What is Ada ?". And
this is true for many yeas already. I have one book on Ada 83
that I've bought long long time ago when the SU was alive. This
book is good and the author is well known person that written
several very good books (Perminov). But I have not heard his
name in Ada context any more.

As far as the mentioned above book I did not say that it is a bad
book. I only said that translation technical terms and notions was
not very good. There was some discussion about it in Russian
pascal.modular.ada  echo mail and someone gave several
examples of translations. And it was not good.
The reason  is that Russian terminology follows mostly C++
terminology  and there  exist no direct mapping of Ada  OO
terms in English to terms in Russian.
You may ask Sergey Rybin, he  can explain this in more details.

>Now if anyone finds such a book, they will say to themselves
>"oh, but some expert [who knows who is and who is not one]
>on CLA says that this is a junk book".

Not very carefull translation doesn't automatically means that
book is bad as a whole .

> Furthermore, if anyone considers writing such a book, they have
been smeared in advance.

I do not think so,  it would be just a warning sign to be more
careful in choosing appropriate terms in another language.
And this is not an easy task especially when there exist no
such terms.

>How about we hear from someone with first hand
knowledge here:-)

I am afraid that we have to wait until next millennium :-)
Of course I would be glad to be wrong regarding that :-)

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky