From: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: DBF/Network Application
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:13:44 +1000
Date: 2004-06-19T13:13:44+10:00	[thread overview]

    Brian> You can access .DBF files using ODBC (at least on Windows).

Cool. I was wondering about this. At least some of the information I
have received seems to contradict itself, so just trying to work this
out is difficult. Presumably, you setup the DBF file in the Windows
control panel?

    Brian> To talk to ODBC using Ada (again, on Windows), see
    Brian> http://www.adapower.com/os/odbc.html

Thanks for the reference. It seems to use Win32 ODBC calls directly to
access the database.

    Brian> Also, take a look at
    Brian> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

English would be a cool feature ... ;-).

No doubt you were referring me to databases.tgz, which looks like a
higher level layer on top of the Win32 calls.

Another solution is <URL:http://www.adapower.com/reuse/iodbc.tar.gz>,
although at a quick glance the quality of databases.tgz looks better.
Both appear to be Windows specific solutions.

I probably should re-investigate GNADE again, it would appear to be
the most portable solution.

Thanks!
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>