From: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: Ariane5 FAQ, Observer's version, 8th draft
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:06:36 +1100
Date: 2004-11-28T11:06:36+11:00	[thread overview]

    Alexander> Q. But media told us that there was an error in the
    Alexander> software that caused that crash. Is it right?

    Alexander> A. No, it is wrong. There was no such an error in the
    Alexander> software. The software worked perfectly for the
    Alexander> purpose, for which it was created, that is, for Ariane
    Alexander> 4. The software was not created for Ariane 5, and there
    Alexander> were no reasons to expect that it should work for this
    Alexander> new rocket. So, the error, which caused the crash was
    Alexander> blinded use of a software created for another job. And
    Alexander> this error was severely aggravated by subsequent error
    Alexander> -- skipping mandatory test procedure before the first
    Alexander> flight.

I would argue this was in fact an error in the software installed,
even though the software itself did exactly as in intended.

If I accidently installed software designed for my Microwave oven in
my fridge, and my fridge subsequently tried to cook food rather then
cool/freeze food, I would still consider it an error in the software
installed. Despite the fact the software did exactly as intended.

I agree though that the choice of language was in no way a
contributing factor.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>