From: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: Why do the escape sequences not work?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:37:07 +1000
Date: 2004-10-03T10:37:07+10:00	[thread overview]

>>>>> "stephane" == stephane richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

    stephane> I believe you need your ansi.sys driver installed (if
    stephane> that exists in XP :-).....it's a console problem. Only
    stephane> with ansi.sys installed (or emulated if it can) can
    stephane> these escape commands work.

Another solution might be to use an alternative console, e.g. rxvt
that comes supplied with msys/mingw32. I doubt it requires ANSI.SYS...

On a related topic, anyone know how Windows sets priorities on
applications?

I have a command line application (Ada of course), run in a MS console
window. It is a daemon, so is meant to run in the background, without
any user access required.

However, I have been getting complaints that it stops working if the
window isn't visible (e.g. covered by another window). If another
window pops up in front of it, it stops working. Also power save mode
on the monitor stops it working (or was that the screen saver?). The
confusing part is that sometimes it does work.

I haven't seen the problem, and can't reproduce it on Windows XP (the
computer in question is Windows 2000 IIRC).

My theory is that MS-Windows reduces the priority of the task if the
window is not visible on the assumption that the user doesn't need to
interact with Windows they can't see.

I have a suspicion that using rxvt might solve the problem (and will
check this ASAP), but I don't know how priorities are set on Windows.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>