From: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: Software Engineering Ethics
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:08:19 +1100
Date: 2005-01-09T15:08:19+11:00	[thread overview]

    Jeffrey> I've seen some ads for a position converting an Ada
    Jeffrey> application to C++. They say they'll train you in C++, as
    Jeffrey> if that were some sort of attraction.

A job agency that contacted me recently saw on my resume that I had
been involved in a Ada project. The representative said "That must be
really old...". I said "No, its relatively recent". No
response. Either he realized he made a mistake or he considered me a
total idiot for writing new software with an "obsolete" language. Not
sure which one, although I suspect the later.

I think many people treat Ada as an obsolete language, much like
Fortran (for example), without considering if this really is the case.
Old doesn't always mean obsolete, not even with the rapid progress
made in IT.

The ironic thing is (to the best of my knowledge), Borland still
support Delphi, which is based on Pascal, and Ada is based on
Pascal... I haven't heard anyone complain about Pascal being obsolete.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>