From: Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: Help on Package_Name
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:17:44 GMT
Date: 2004-11-22T19:17:44+00:00	[thread overview]

munnoch wrote:

> ada.text_io deals with character input - this includes strings which are
> just arrays of characters
> and .. well .. you guessed it .. ada.integer_text_io and ada.float_text_io
> deals with integer and floating point number types respectively

No, Ada.Integer_Text_IO deals with I/O for type Integer and
Ada.Float_Text_IO for type Float. These are essentially instantiations
of Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO for type Integer and Ada.Text_IO.Float_IO for
type Float. As a beginner, you may well just use Integer and Float in
your early programs, but once you've learned the language and for
anything that matters, you should be declaring your own numeric types.

I know the terminology is a little confusing. Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO
provides text I/O for any [signed] integer type. Type Integer is one
such type. Similarly, Ada.Text_IO.Float_IO provides text I/O for any
floating-point type; type Float is one such type.

--
Jeff Carter
"People called Romanes, they go the house?"