* Yet another operating system
@ 2006-01-30 10:53 askliepios
From: askliepios @ 2006-01-30 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi every one.

My name is Frederic. I plan to write with a few friends a new operating
system called Lovelace, an unix ada based operating system on top of a
L4 pistachio micro-kernel.

There is a (little) web page about it, we are looking for people to
help us.

http://lovelace.rochebrune.org

By now we manage to boot some Ada code in Bochs with GRUB (and other
real computers too :-p), and we can catch Ada exceptions in the user
address space. We have a little memory support and we started a file
system and the thread support.
Our main goal is to provide :
- A complete Ada framework to develop various OS on top of L4 (in fact
by rewrite the Ada GNAT run time lib on top of L4)
- provide various L4 servers writen in Ada with our framework to make a
real unix operating system.

Frédéric.
askliepios@yahoo.com

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-01 22:09 ` Eduardo Zambon
From: Eduardo Zambon @ 2006-02-01 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there.

Really interesting project. Since AdaOS seems to be stalled, this one is a
nice replacement.

The funny thing is that we have an OS research group at my University
(UFES - Brazil) and one of our projects is very closely related to
Lovelace. We call it L4DA, and as one may guess is an implementation of L4
in Ada. Currently, there is no web page for L4DA since it's still in an
early stage of development and is the topic of my master thesis. We hope
that a first version will be completed until the beginning of second
semester and by then the code will be released under a GPL-like license.

Soon we'll be replacing GNU/Linux with Lovelace/L4DA... :)
Or better yet: L4DA/Lovelace :))

Regards,

Eduardo Zambon.
zambon@inf.ufes.br

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-02  9:37   ` askliepios
From: askliepios @ 2006-02-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eduardo.

Really interrested. If you achieve this project, I will be really happy
to implement Lovelace on top of L4da. Please keep me informed about
this project.

Maybe we could join our effort in order to implement a standard L4 lib
with Ada.

Regards,

Frédéric.
Lovelace Project Manager.

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-02 21:01 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-02-02 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

askliepios wrote:
> My name is Frederic. I plan to write with a few friends a new operating
> system called Lovelace, an unix ada based operating system on top of a
> L4 pistachio micro-kernel.

I hope you're aware that Lovelace is also a web-based tutorial on Ada
programming.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-03  8:48   ` Simon Felix
From: Simon Felix @ 2006-02-03  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson wrote:
> askliepios wrote:
>
>> My name is Frederic. I plan to write with a few friends a new operating
>> system called Lovelace, an unix ada based operating system on top of a
>> L4 pistachio micro-kernel.
>

> I hope you're aware that Lovelace is also a web-based tutorial on Ada
> programming.

and almost the last name of the evil guy in the movie "wild wild west"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120891/

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-03  9:02   ` askliepios
From: askliepios @ 2006-02-03  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

This project's name has been :
- ADX
- xada
Now it's called Lovelace.
All project's member are ok for this name now. I'm aware (as JCVD) that
this name is used for a tutorial on the web. Hope Lovelace tutorial's
author will forgiven us for this ...

Frederic

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-03 15:17     ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2006-02-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.ada askliepios <askliepios@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This project's name has been :
> - ADX
> - xada
> Now it's called Lovelace.
> All project's member are ok for this name now. I'm aware (as JCVD) that
> this name is used for a tutorial on the web. Hope Lovelace tutorial's
> author will forgiven us for this ...

an ambiguous name choice is always bad like these two examples:

GPS : the whole world is thinking of satellite navigation

glade: there are two very different meanings

--
--Peter.Hermann@ihr.uni-stuttgart.de                (+49)0711-685-87244
--Nobelstr.19 Raum 0.030, D-70569 Stuttgart IHR Hoechstleistungsrechnen

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-03 16:09       ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-02-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann wrote:
> In comp.lang.ada askliepios <askliepios@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This project's name has been :
>>- ADX
>>- xada
>>Now it's called Lovelace.
>>All project's member are ok for this name now. I'm aware (as JCVD) that
>>this name is used for a tutorial on the web. Hope Lovelace tutorial's
>>author will forgiven us for this ...
>

> an ambiguous name choice is always bad like these two examples:
>
> GPS : the whole world is thinking of satellite navigation

Extra points for Ada being used in embedded software used in satellites ;)

@ 2006-02-03 19:55     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-02-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Felix wrote:

> and almost the last name of the evil guy in the movie "wild wild west"

Since this is cross posted to a non-Ada newsgroup, I'll explain that Augusta Ada
King, who wrote programs for the Analytical Engine and for whom the Ada language
is named, was the Countess of Lovelace. That's why the name shows up in
connection with Ada. You may also encounter references to Charles Babbage, who
invented the Analytical Engine; to 1815, the year Ada was born; to Byron, Ada's
father and maiden name, and to Augusta, Ada's first name.

--
Jeff Carter
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords

* Re: Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-03 22:46         ` Maxim S. Shatskih
From: Maxim S. Shatskih @ 2006-02-03 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Extra points for Ada being used in embedded software used in satellites ;)

I remember the fully story in trying to use Ada on F-16 embedded, which ended
in retaining the assembler-written embedded :-)

In Russian, "yazyk ada" is both "the Ada language" and "the language of hell"
:-)

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

* Yet another operating system
@ 2006-02-07 19:43 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-02-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to comment that, although the AdaOS project is stalled, it is
not entirely dead, and I hope to bring it back to full vigour at some
point in the not-too-distant future.

I'd also like to offer the use of the AdaOS web site

    http://www.adaos.net

to anyone who is starting a related project, if it would be any help.

There is also currently a discussion forum at

    http://adaos.multiply.com

You are welcome to start a new topic there.

--
Nick Roberts