From: Markus E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de>
Subject: Re: New open source UML tool including Ada support
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:25:06 +0200
Date: 2007-07-11T00:25:06+02:00	[thread overview]

> Markus E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> writes:
>
>> Quite right. I'm only trolling on the license situation since I'm
>> probably already infamous for my destructive relationship to
>> licensing. The problem simply is, that the page AFAIS doesn't state
>> a license (so I can do everything with the tool I want? -- strange)
>> and that we can't assume you get the tool under *GPL since you can't
>> give it to others under that circumstances w/o source.
>
> Reading the terms of use it's not obvious what meaning 'open source'
> has!
>
> Of course, since they say "You may not decompile, reverse engineer or
> otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the software."  it's
> possible that the terms of use are still draft ..

Oh, I see. In _Terms of Use_. I wouldn't have looked there for the
license, actually. Somewhere else at the site it's stated, it _will_
be available under amodified LGPL. The press release is a bit early,
'cause it says "Under the terms of the Ameos open source agreement, a
\u201cclean\u201d open source version of Ameos, called OpenAmeos, has
been created to ensure that anyone installing a new version of Ameos
will be able to use it freely without encumbrances of any other source
contributions. This version is freely downloadable at
http://www.openameos.org." -- which obviously isn't happening yet.

So it's not open source yet, and as I said, I'll believe it when it
happens. Not to stab the gift horse, but wasn't the last "free"
give-away from AONIX the "you now pay only for support" campaign,
which turned out to mean: "if you already bought something very
expensive". Technically right, but the "as it is with Linux" spin was
completely off the mark.

(Am I resentful? Perhaps. Still I think, the best marketing is if one
doesn't have to spin it to an extent that will simply disappoint
anyone who is really trying to open the box: Some people resent being
bullshitted :-), not very much, but I won't forget it either).

So AONIX and ScopeSET: Really, really beautiful if all this will
become true: I'm also speaking as an ex-teacher -- we've been missing
tools like this sorely also and especially in teaching. The press
release, though is a bit early: I won't count my chickens before
they're hatched.

Regards -- Markus