From: "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Binding a type to a union.
Date: 1999/11/28
Date: 1999-11-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote in message <81pum2$s1a$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

[..]
>  ...  at the moment the extensions are being
>driven primarily by customer input to vendors, we are certainly
>not in the mode of asking the community for neat ideas!

I think this  is one  of the biggest problems for Ada in general
and it stems from  the fact that for a long period of time Ada
was sponsored by DoD and Ada business was done in
a closed market.

This approach may be of some value as a short term tactic
but as a long term strategy it leads nowhere.

This is the ABC of the Hi-Tech  business that in order in succeed
in a long run a company should invest some part of it's profits
into research and development  area (including  possible markets ,
technology areas, new products, new trends that soon become
a market demand etc.).
Even if (5-10)% of such investments would outcome in something
useful that is a little bit ahead of the time (and competitors's
products )  then that investments  would be much rewarded.

If a company fails in this area then regardless of how good was
it's  initial position it will lose the game as in a long run it would be
lagging behind others.

There are many examples when companies founded by persons
genuine  in science in technologies  failed as the same person was
defining company market approach  (please, please  do not think
that I am talking about ACT - I am talking in general :-).
Genuine management is as important for successful business
as all other aspects of business.

Approach described as "first money - than new product for that
money" is a deadline in an open market business (in closed
market it works OK).
In an open market  the main rule is quite the opposite:
"first new product -  then money if  that product succeeds"

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky