From: "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Bugs or Mistakes?
Date: 1999/11/13
Date: 1999-11-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Vladimir Olensky wrote in message ...

>In industry where I have been working for many years

>before my current work there were no such word
>as "bug". There were such words as "design flaw",
>"error" and "defect" and that resulted in very
>strict and tight quality control methodology.

   This passage contains small "bug" in programming
language sense but it called  grammar error in normal
language sense
Instead of writing " had been working" I wrote
"have been working".
What is it  -  "bug" or an "error" ?

   This  also illustrates  the common source
of such errors which is the code modification
without proper checking how it affects other
portions of code.
   When I started writing this there were no words
"before my current work" and everything was OK.
After inserting them in my "code" everything has changed.

  There exists another "bug" which was caused by removing
one word out of several in succession but not changing
relevant verb ("were no such word  as ...").
It is also called grammar error in normal language sense.

A lot of programmers like to name such things as "bugs".

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky