* simple xterm?
@ 1999-10-19  0:00 Robert Jordan
From: Robert Jordan @ 1999-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What would be the easiest method for getting a separate VT100 text
window to be created for text_io output?  I'd rather avoid using c calls
(Sun solaris), but if that's the only way to do it, then that's the only
way.

Thanks,

Robert

* Re: simple xterm?
@ 1999-10-19  0:00 ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 1999-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Jordan wrote:

> What would be the easiest method for getting a separate VT100 text
> window to be created for text_io output?  I'd rather avoid using c calls
> (Sun solaris), but if that's the only way to do it, then that's the only
> way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Assuming a UNIX machine, then simpy determine your tty device
and open "/dev/ttyxxxx" as your filename. In this way, I have
redirected the output of several "subsystems" within a program
to multiple pre-existing xterm devices. You can simply prompt
the user for the device names when the program starts.

In the past, I've kept a list of the desired tty devices
in a separate file which is read by the program. This file
has to be updated each time a new set of xterm's are opened.
With a combination of startup shell scripts and
a wrapper script which opens all the needed xterm's this file
can be automatically setup.

--
Samuel T. Harris, Principal Engineer
Raytheon, Scientific and Technical Systems

* Re: simple xterm?
@ 1999-10-21  0:00   ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher wrote:

> For Windows (and OS/2) it should work to open "COM1", but you have to
> take care at transmission speed and dataformat (you can set it at the
> DOS-prompt with the MODE-command).
>
> Robert Jordan wrote:
> >
> > What would be the easiest method for getting a separate VT100 text
> > window to be created for text_io output?  I'd rather avoid using c calls
> > (Sun solaris), but if that's the only way to do it, then that's the only
> > way.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Robert

I've not had to do multiple outputs in Windows yet so I have not
given it much tought. How does one send output to more then one
DOS window? In the absence of a better suggestion, I suppose I
can output to artificial files and use cygwin's tail -f command
in each DOS window to scroll the appropriate file as it is
being written.

--

@ 1999-10-21  0:00     ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel T. Harris wrote in message <380F6B87.B79016FE@hso.link.com>...
>> Robert Jordan wrote:
>> >
>> > What would be the easiest method for getting a separate VT100 text
>> > window to be created for text_io output?  I'd rather avoid using c
calls
>> > (Sun solaris), but if that's the only way to do it, then that's the
only
>> > way.

>I've not had to do multiple outputs in Windows yet so I have not
>given it much tought. How does one send output to more then one
>DOS window? In the absence of a better suggestion, I suppose I
>can output to artificial files and use cygwin's tail -f command
>in each DOS window to scroll the appropriate file as it is
>being written.

I think that the best way is to use  Win32  console subsystem.
Using it one may open many console windows for output.
Examples of using it (NT/Win95 Console package ) could
 be found on Jerry van Dijk site " Jerry's Ada on Win32 Page"
at    http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: simple xterm?