From: "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Visual Basic and ADA95
Date: 1999/10/20
Date: 1999-10-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Vladimir Olensky wrote in message ...

>Mike Biedronski wrote in message <380CBFA4.BB241336@fmr.com>...
>
>>Does anyone have info on how to link VB & ADA applications?  Working on
>>a single client PC application and would like to use VB for the front
>>end, and ADA for backend.
>

>I would prefer to use  Delphi for front end instead of VB for
>single PC application. I find Delphi much more convenient
>and better  than VB in many respects.

Some more additional arguments in favor of Delphi over VB:

1. It will be soon available for Linux developers :
MS VB  will never run on Linux.

Extras from    http://www.borland.com/about/press/1999/linuxdev.html :
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. -- Sept. 28, 1999 -- Inprise Corporation
(Nasdaq: INPR), today announced that it is developing a high
performance Linux application development environment that
 will support C, C++, and Delphi development. The project,
code named "Kylix", is set for release next year and will be
one of the first high performance Rapid Application
Development (RAD) development tools for the Linux platform.

"Inprise is moving forward to deliver application development
software for the Linux platform," said Dale Fuller, interim president
 and CEO of Inprise Corporation. "We believe Project Kylix will
 define rapid application development for Linux and deliver a fast
 and powerful path for professional application development
 on the Linux platform. With the strong heritage of Delphi and
 C++Builder behind Project Kylix, speed to market for developing
 applications and porting across Windows and Linux should be
significantly increased."

Project Kylix is currently planned to be a Linux component based
 development environment for two-way visual development of
graphical user interface (GUI), Internet, database, and server
applications. Plans are for Project Kylix to be powered by
a new high-speed native C/C++/Delphi compiler for Linux
and will implement a Linux version of the Borland VCL (Visual
Component Library) architecture. The Borland VCL for Linux
will be designed to radically speed native Linux application
development and simplify the porting of Delphi and C++Builder
 applications between Windows and Linux.

2. Easy to use:
>> Also, I am not familiar with using the WIN32 API so that's another
constraint.

Using Delphi you do not need to know much about Win32 APIs unless
you want to use them directly for some reasons. Almost all of them
are wrapped into ready and very easy to use classes in VCL which is
very thick  bindings to Win APIs . So the use of that components
 will be the same on Windows and later on Linux platforms.

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky